Failing to ride - clogged carb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Failing to ride - clogged carb

I let it sit to long ,now I probably have a clogged carb. #1 is cold when running. I dumped some Stabil in it , but have not ran it for any length of time. I asked the mechanic at the shop I chose to clean it if I cannot get it cleaned out myself. He suggested that I do a compression test first, just to make sure I would not damage anything by running the Stabil thru it. I did the test and it climbs to 130 lbs pretty quick and sits there. My question is - will I be doing any harm by running around a bit, trying to get the Stabil thru the system. 38,000 miles and sits in the garage neglected.

Did you put the regular red Stabil in it? I'm not sure that does anything to clean the carbs. Either way, I don't think you are going to damage anything by running Stabil.

Comment

My concern was doing any damage running on just 3 cylinders till it cleaned out. Will I hurt the engine doing this?

Comment

I'd recommend using a system cleaner like Seafoam or Techron - Stabil isn't designed to clean.

Is it just an issue at idle or does #1 not run at all?

Usually your idle jets will clog first as they have the smallest hole...
        Why are we here? Because we're here....Roll the bones

Comment

I think that I'd just yank the carbs. It is kind of a pain, but can be done pretty quickly. If you have one that is already clogged there is little chance that putting anything in the fuel is going to unclog it.
          Chuck P
          2003 FZ1
          2007 FJR1300A
          http://www.oldjeep.com

Comment

Originally posted by rswebscan View Post
            I'd recommend using a system cleaner like Seafoam or Techron - Stabil isn't designed to clean.

Is it just an issue at idle or does #1 not run at all?

Usually your idle jets will clog first as they have the smallest hole...

Concur, My Boss use to say "Living Better Through Chemistry" . I think the only damage from running it might be a gas fouled plug. You may already have one and need to clean it. I'd give cleaners a try first.

Comment

Generally, Cleaners only work if there is some flow through the jets and passages. If its fully clogged you will most likely have to pull them apart. I had the same issue but
              I got lucky.
              What I would do:
              Id empty the tank and put a good amount of Techron cleaner in a 1/2 tank of fresh gas. I actually used Techron fuel injector cleaner.
              Pull the cold plug and clean it or better yet replace it.
              Fire it up. If it runs ok at higher rpms let it run at that rpm. so you dont foul the plug again. Make sure your fan is working and make sure it doesnt overheat. You need to run it long enough to empty the bowls of the old gas so the new gas/cleaner gets into the carbs where it needs to be to work. I ran it about 20 minutes. Run it every other day for a week. If it doesnt clear out you will have to pull the carbs and do a thorough cleaning.
              Good luck.

Comment

Cleaners have worked for me multiple times, but it was only the low speed jets that were clogged. I usually run a small amount of SeaFoam in the first tank of the season. There have been threads and youtube vids about the effectiveness of cleaners and I've seen some interesting home science projects, that would lead one to believe they don't work.

Comment

Strong cleaner = B12 Chemtool. Seafoam is lemonade compared to that stuff. Stabil is not even a cleaner.

Put cleaner in the gas tank, then open drain on carb until you are sure cleaner is in the carb. Warm it up, go ride, then ride hard with many full throttle pulls.

Typically the pilot jet is what clogs first, as it is the smallest therefore most prone. The main jet should be clear enough to flow some cleaner laced fuel and allow the cylinder to run during the full throttle attacks. Let it sit a couple days then do the above riding cycle again. If she's still cold on that cylinder, remove the carbs and clean them. If one is doing it, the other 3 aren't far behind.

If you do get it running on all four, keep some cleaner in the fuel for awhile, and ride it hard on occasion.

Good luck.

-'03 FZ1- "Xena"- Custom Orange/Red paint- FuzzyOne mirror mod- SW Motech QR racks- Givi E460 top- E21 side cases- SS brake lines - Scorpion slip-on- Penske 8987 shock- Throttlemeisters- Sargent seat- R1 shift arm- Custom sprocket cover- Cheap ass battery- Extended passenger pegs - Gauge of Eternal Coolness - Valtermoto Rearsets - LED headlights- Carbon airbox covers- Fehling engine case guards (footrests!)- MRA Vario shield -

Comment

So whats the status? Did it clear up?

Comment

I tell you what...I went through this about a year and a half ago with my gen 1....02' w 104 thou on the clock at the time. A cylinder would run cold, then it would even change the next time I ran it. I had the carbs off a couple of times over the years to clean/rebuild(float needle o-rings especially). But this time it was bad. It took me a while to figure it out. I wasn't sure if it was ignition or fuel related. I figured out it was the carbs by running it on partial choke, and it would run better. I pulled the carbs and took them to a friend/ bike mechanic that I trust so he could completely disassemble them and soak them in his ultrasonic cleaner. Got them back, put everything back together, synced and she's been running great ever since.
                      Seafoam or the like didn't work. They needed a good thorough cleaning.

Comment

Originally posted by Iceman63 View Post
                        I tell you what...I went through this about a year and a half ago with my gen 1....02' w 104 thou on the clock at the time. A cylinder would run cold, then it would even change the next time I ran it. I had the carbs off a couple of times over the years to clean/rebuild(float needle o-rings especially). But this time it was bad. It took me a while to figure it out. I wasn't sure if it was ignition or fuel related. I figured out it was the carbs by running it on partial choke, and it would run better. I pulled the carbs and took them to a friend/ bike mechanic that I trust so he could completely disassemble them and soak them in his ultrasonic cleaner. Got them back, put everything back together, synced and she's been running great ever since.
                        Seafoam or the like didn't work. They needed a good thorough cleaning.
                        I had the same issue with my #4 carb. Took it apart half a dozen times, soaked it in a bucket of carb cleaner and ultimately wound up replacing the carb body with another used one before the problem went away.
                        Chuck P
                        2003 FZ1
                        2007 FJR1300A
                        http://www.oldjeep.com

Comment

Working...
                        X