1st 26k Valve Check

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st 26k Valve Check

Itís time to check my valves. Any tips or worries I should be ware of? What shims should I have?
    Thanks for the help.
    Dave

07 Raven. Ivans ECU Flash, PCIII with DB Killer Map, Stock Flies, AIS Block Off Plates. Leo Vince Slipon, Gutted Cat. BMC Air Filter and Air Box Mod. Hyperpro Shock. Fender Eliminator with Custom License Plate Light. Tall Wind Screen. Pazzo Levers. Frame Sliders. EarthX Battery. Spencer Seat Mod.

Wouldn't worry about shims till you know you need them. Plenty of threads with tips.
    Black Lives Matter

Comment

Amazon prime the shims you need, don't buy a whole kit.
      2012 BMW S1000RR Premium
      2011 Kawasaki Concours14
      2009 Yamaha FZ6

Comment

I am in the middle of doing mine now, bike is apart, just got the new shims/gaskets. Will put it together this weekend. All the intakes were in spec but most of the exhaust where right at or below min spec (nothing out of the ordinary). Only had to remove the exhaust cam, moved some shims around and only had to order 3 new ones. Don't forget to reset your cam chain tensioner before reinstalling.

Comment

Thanks for the tips. I found some good posts explaining the procedure.
          Dave

07 Raven. Ivans ECU Flash, PCIII with DB Killer Map, Stock Flies, AIS Block Off Plates. Leo Vince Slipon, Gutted Cat. BMC Air Filter and Air Box Mod. Hyperpro Shock. Fender Eliminator with Custom License Plate Light. Tall Wind Screen. Pazzo Levers. Frame Sliders. EarthX Battery. Spencer Seat Mod.

Comment

Take your time and keep saying to yourself, "I'm saving $700.00", and things will be fine.
            Don't spin the engine with the cam chain tensioner out! That was the only mistake I made. Had to move the chain one tooth on one of the cams to get things all lined up again.
            '08 FZ1 Retro, '81 550 Seca

Comment

Originally posted by RangerG View Post
              Take your time and keep saying to yourself, "I'm saving $700.00", and things will be fine.
              Don't spin the engine with the cam chain tensioner out! That was the only mistake I made. Had to move the chain one tooth on one of the cams to get things all lined up again.
              About 1/2 that around here. 3.8 hours @$95 an hour at the local dealer.
              Chuck P
              2003 FZ1
              2007 FJR1300A
              http://www.oldjeep.com

Comment

ziptie the chain to the cam gear before you take the tensioner out. Also use a sharpie to mark the chain and the cam gear. Also always take a picture before removing a cam. There are multiple marks on the gears and on the cam itself that matches the bits that hold the cam down.

Take your time and you'll be fine
                2012 BMW S1000RR Premium
                2011 Kawasaki Concours14
                2009 Yamaha FZ6

Comment

I finally finished my valve adjustment at 32K instead of 26K per the manual. All the exhaust valves were tight, .15mm. The intakes were in spec or close to it. Who’s idea was it to use allen head screws on the cam chain tensioner? Next time they will be replaced with cap screws.
                  The motor feels more responsive but has a more notable vibration across the the rev range. Has anyone experienced this?
                  It’s not a valve tick. Could the cam chain/tensioner cause this? Not sure what I did wrong. I marked the cam chain and sprockets so the cam shafts went back-in correctly.
                  Dave

Comment

Did you reset the CCT? You can install the CCT upside down, it should be installed so that the clip that holds the CCT in will drop down after its installed. There is an arrow on it, it should be pointing up.

Attached Files
                    Last edited by 9Lives; 02-18-2021, 11:28 AM.

Comment

Yes I did. It’s installed correctly. I’m going to pull it again to see if the clip released.
                      Dave

Comment

Backed out the screws holding the CCT. The spring moved the device out of the cylinder so the hold clip released. The tensioner appears to be working correctly.
                        Any other ideas what may cause a vibration? It must be something I did wrong during the valve adjustment. Not sure what because there is no excess valve noise and the motor is more responsive.
                        Dave

Comment

Working...
                        X