No ignition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No ignition

So I'm writing this at a bar parking lot. No, I didn't join the Cadre of Wisconsin Drinking Riders, just happens to be the closest parking lot to where the bike died, rather unceremoniously.

I pulled the fuses, the 20 amp for ignition is blown. Replaced it with the spare, still no dice. I have lights and turn signals. I checked the 30 amp fuses by the starter, they are fine. All the wires from the battery area seem to be attached. Checked the infamous wire connector, looks to be fine. Any suggestions?
    It's a magical world, Hobbes, ol' buddy. Let's go exploring!!"

nekkid 2005 FZ1 - re-jetted by RavenRider - airbox mod - AIS removed - Holeshot 3 degree timing advancer - shortened GYTR CF slip-on - Traxxion AK20's and 1.0 springs - Hyperco shock by Traxxion - Corbin - CRG lane splitters - GSG sliders - R1 shift arm - Devilsyam frame plugs - Spiegler front braided brake lines - GYTR low mount - LSL Urban headlight - Pazzo levers

I mean infamous white connector.

nekkid 2005 FZ1 - re-jetted by RavenRider - airbox mod - AIS removed - Holeshot 3 degree timing advancer - shortened GYTR CF slip-on - Traxxion AK20's and 1.0 springs - Hyperco shock by Traxxion - Corbin - CRG lane splitters - GSG sliders - R1 shift arm - Devilsyam frame plugs - Spiegler front braided brake lines - GYTR low mount - LSL Urban headlight - Pazzo levers

Comment

Hope you get it running. Better to find out now, you know what I mean? Time for the 2021 MT-09!

Comment

That is true. Better get it fixed now, too. We'll see if the local indie will it in tomorrow.

I did rummage under the tank, learned that there's an inline fuse from the aftermarket gauges, which looked just fine. Everything seemed to be connected. I tried taking out and putting back the little led light from my LSL Urban headlight, which is the only thing I'd played with since my last ride, didn't make any difference (didn't light up, either). I also charged up the battery, wasn't that dead, to begin with. I got nothing.

Comment

You sure your kill switch isn't on?
          Why are we here? Because we're here....Roll the bones

Comment

Kill switch, neutral, side stand.
            -'03 FZ1- "Xena"- Custom Orange/Red paint- FuzzyOne mirror mod- SW Motech QR racks- Givi E460 top- E21 side cases- SS brake lines - Scorpion slip-on- Penske 8987 shock- Throttlemeisters- Sargent seat- R1 shift arm- Custom sprocket cover- Cheap ass battery- Extended passenger pegs - Gauge of Eternal Coolness - Valtermoto Rearsets - LED headlights- Carbon airbox covers- Fehling engine case guards (footrests!)- MRA Vario shield -

Comment

Kill switch not on, bike on neutral, side stand up. However, maybe the side stand sensor got wonky? Would that explain the blown ignition fuse?

Comment

I doubt that - more likely the ignition switch itself as the sensor likely isn't on that same circuit....

Comment

Bad ignition switch? But the lights are coming on?

Comment

Originally posted by bradd View Post
                    Bad ignition switch? But the lights are coming on?
                    I meant the switch shorting to blow the fuse.... but that doesn't explain why it won't crank - although I do seem to remember folks having some odd issues with that switch.

What about the starter switch?

Comment

The bike is now at the hands of a real mc mechanic, hopefully to be diagnosed and fixed with READILY AVAILABLE parts.

Comment

Let us know what you find out.

Comment

I also meant to suggest push starting if possible. With lights and turn signals it could have started, which would have narrowed it to the starter electrical circuit. Let us know what the mech finds.
                          -'03 FZ1- "Xena"- Custom Orange/Red paint- FuzzyOne mirror mod- SW Motech QR racks- Givi E460 top- E21 side cases- SS brake lines - Scorpion slip-on- Penske 8987 shock- Throttlemeisters- Sargent seat- R1 shift arm- Custom sprocket cover- Cheap ass battery- Extended passenger pegs - Gauge of Eternal Coolness - Valtermoto Rearsets - LED headlights- Carbon airbox covers- Fehling engine case guards (footrests!)- MRA Vario shield -

Comment

Another good idea.

Comment

Well, the mech didn't find much. He reported his first step being to replace the fuse, which I'd already done myself. Apparently the bike started right up. He then did some very basic rummaging around under the tank. A wire going from the ignition bundle (seriously, I blank out when people start throwing even remotely technical terms at me) looked a little rough, like the sleeve was almost worn / deteriorated through, like it could have, in the right circumstances, caused a short. He replaced this sketchy wire with a new one. (I guessed it was the yellow one on the phone, the one even I thought looked a little rough, while checking things out last night, and it was, as he showed me the wire he'd pulled out when I picked up the bike.)

She purrs like a kitten now. Apparently all of this took him 10 minutes, so he didn't charge me a dime. I know he was doing this on his own time so I very much appreciate it. Do I feel 100% confident this is all that was needed to fix the issue? Let's say I'm about 85%...

Thank you all for your suggestions! I hope I don't have to report back to this thread any time soon.

Comment

Working...
                              X