Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2009 with ~19,000 miles - bike is stuttering hard.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2009 with ~19,000 miles - bike is stuttering hard.

I had a coil go bad and the bike would stutter at lower RPM's and then smooth out at higher - replaced the coil and fixed. It now has a whole new issue. It is stuttering (bogging down?) at low RPM's and at high. It runs so rough that I can't ride it. I am not sure it is a fuel issue or maybe more bad coils? Maybe one of the cylinders is not working properly? Any pointers on how to go about resolving this would be appreciated.

Thanks.
    2009 Yamaha FZ1 | MIVV CF GP Slip on | 16t sprocket | SpeedoDRD | Cat Gutted | AIS Plugged | Cheap Shorty Levers

If you have one of those laser temp gauges, you can shoot the headers and see which one isn't firing. I believe that most people that have replaced all 4 coils and been done with it.

Comment

Originally posted by bmidd View Post
      If you have one of those laser temp gauges, you can shoot the headers and see which one isn't firing. I believe that most people that have replaced all 4 coils and been done with it.
      I do not but will track one down and check.
      2009 Yamaha FZ1 | MIVV CF GP Slip on | 16t sprocket | SpeedoDRD | Cat Gutted | AIS Plugged | Cheap Shorty Levers

Comment

Just replace all 4 and git'er done. I bought used R1's off of Ebay and never looked back after 40K.

Comment

I got a IR temp gun. 3 pipes are @ 300 and 1 is @ 180. Took the bike for another test run and I am mistaken. It does smooth out over 5k RPM. So another bad coil. Sigh. Coils are ordered and I will pop them in this weekend. If all goes well I will update.

Comment

Replace your plugs at the same time. Put some diaelectric grease on the coils harness connectors and on the coil seal to the head. What coils did you get?
            06 Shift Red,FCE, PCIII, IM, E Map, AIS removed, Airbox Mod, BMC filter, Smaller Flies, Full Yosh R77 Titanium, 16t, Speedo DRD, Penske 8983, 08 R1 forks and front brakes, Speigler brake lines, Easton EXP bars and risers, Copperdawg Speed Screen, Sargent seat, Givi rack and top case . . . . . . .

Comment

Originally posted by eurban View Post
              Replace your plugs at the same time. Put some diaelectric grease on the coils harness connectors and on the coil seal to the head. What coils did you get?
              I bought them off of Amazon. Brand new - see attached pic. They had the grease on them. I put all 4 in and replaced all 4 plugs (PRO TIP - use the spark plug remover that comes with the bike to get the plugs out!!). Drained the radiator and it was nasty and needed it. Buttoned it all back up and the bike sounds new again. This is the second time I have had a bad coil.
              You do not have permission to view this gallery.
              This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Terrific if you can replace your coils with new aftermarket parts for cheap. Pleased to hear that it works so well! I thought it was picky having the right coils for the ecu somehow.

Comment

I have the same problem. I removed all the coils and did an ohms test. They all read 1.3-1.5ohm. Within spec. I have read on here that they can still test with in spec and beginning to fail. Is the general consensus that these aftermarket amazon coils are good enough to use?

I should clarify. I have an 2009 FZ1 with 51k miles. It is very well maintained. It all of a sudden started stuttering below 2.5k rpms. I believe it is a coil problem. But am open to other suggestions.

Comment

Working...
                  X