Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Forgive me for I have sinned (frankenbike)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long time no talky.

Just wanted to update you guys in case you're interested.

Bike runs fantastic, it surpassed my highest expectations in terms of comfort (although the lack of wind protection is tough on the highway), performance, and handling.

Haven't had a lick of problems from the FZ1 components. I do have a slight stumble/bog/defuel condition at around 5.5k-7 rpms. Bike just seems like it is losing fuel or dropping a cyl. Roll on it and it hits hard. I have not synced the carbs, I'm hopeful that's what it is. Any ideas would be appreciated, bike is stock other than Ivans Pod filters and jet kit. K&N are reasonably clean...

I added a Scotts stabilizer along with a fastway FIT system including integral handguards. This was a great addition, stops the vibes almost 90%, keeps the wind off your knuckles, the scotts works as advertised although you need to rememeber its on in a parking lot. Also makes your hands feel protected.

I got rid of the GPS mount, it looked like a stupid antenna growing out of the lights.

I put together a short video a month or so ago that explains it in words and also has an exhaust clip.

http://youtu.be/lLU2oaiZQ58

Oh, and in case you thought this bike was a little crazy, I'm build a parts bin CBR 600 F3 into a dirt bike. No cush drive, WP 48 forks and shock, underseat aluminum gas tank, YZ 450 subframe and seat. It's going to be sweet. I might even supermoto it. I'm at the beginning stages on this one and basically waiting for parts.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=729066

Any test pilots around Pittsburgh, lemme know and you can take the bike for a spin. My buddy has a souped up V strom and was friendly talking smack about how fast his bike was. Well we hit a light to a long on ramp. I bogged down in 1st and he was 20 bikes in front of me before I got my crap together. Wound it out in every gear and by the time I hit the highway he was 20 bikes behind me and fading fast. Bike is an animal and fun on dirt roads too.

Comment

• Thanks for the update. Been following along on advrider. Looking forward to seeing what you do on the 600. I'd call Ivan about the carbs. He'll trouble shoot it with you.
      "‎Don't count the days; make the days count." Muhammad Ali

Comment

• I love the youtube video.

I would so get arrested on that bike.
        He who is not aware of his ignorance will be only misled by his knowledge. - Richard Whatley

Comment

• That's why I say hey man, nice shot. Nice shot man.

Just a well planned, well executed job. I love it. Looking forward to the 600 and I might take you up on that ride in the spring. Like around 2nd weekend in May. Really, unless I'm on a track. My (several) hats off to you.
          2012 Suzuki V Strom DL1000
          2000 Husqvarna SM610S
          1999 Cagiva Grand Canyon FOR SALE
          1995 YZF600 track bike
          1991 FJ1200

they say wisdom comes with age.
          sometimes age comes alone.

Comment

• I guess I owe yinz an update. Been riding the wheels off it.

Couple FZ1 specific issues. I'm getting a surging around 5.5k-7. I have the Ivans kit installed to specs with his POD filters. I can whack it open and it rips, but if I keep it steady, it feels like its defueling for a split second. I read a thread about the needles, I might try that. Also need to sync the carbs...

Since I have the gauges mounted on the aluminum light frame, the speedo swings wildly. I think the vibes are a killer. Doesn't really bother me as I have a GPS and the speed is wrong anyways due to the tire size, but it can be a little distraction. Usually is buzzes about a 30 MPH spead rapidly, today it was doing 100MPH swings, I feel like its going to just launch off the pivot

-Rebuilt the bag mounts the others were junk.
            -Ripped the "horn" GPS mount off and ran a RAM mount on the bars that has the Garmin plug hardwired.
            -Added heated grips
            -Added Conti Trail Attacks, love these tires. Did 300 miles of WV, OH, PA twisties today and love them. For a 21" front tire, it hangs it out
            -Built an aluminum rear fender

Stuff I still need to do:

-Install the MultiGage I was graciously sent by Christian from over the pond
            -Rip the bike down and finish welding then powdercoat the frame, also paint the tank and install the decals I had made

Thought you might like to see the next bike on the lift. CBR F3 600 getting the same type of treatment but with an eye on weight.

Lost the tank and made my own subframe with an integral aluminum tank, holds 2.5 gals.

Wearing sumo gear, but I also have a set of 18/21 KTM dirt wheels that bolt right on. It actually has the KTM 450 SMR setup top to bottom, forks, shock, radial brake, radial master cyl. I have the same in dirt just takes unbolting the MC, dropping the forks, shock and putting the dirt wheels on.

Bike weighs 275 as you see it, I'd be surprised if its a lb over 350 finished.

The big maroon mess you see started as a Patagonia fleece undershirt I stretched over the airbox, epoxied, and just put the first layer of glass over it. I plan on finishing it with some bling carbon cloth and then clear coat it.

Bike will be a minimalist design, light weight, barely any fuel range, sticky tires, willing motor...

Comment

• Wow!
              "‎Don't count the days; make the days count." Muhammad Ali

Comment

• Looks like fun! Your creativity is astounding... So are your resources.
                I have a photographic memory. Sadly, all the film has been exposed.
                Originally posted by VA_rider
                A 200 will fit on the rim... a buick engine will fit in the frame... a dummy will fit on the seat....
                Originally posted by Desmo
                "Brakes only serve to slow you down".

Comment

• Originally posted by Slim Johnson View Post
                  Looks like fun! Your creativity is astounding... So are your resources.
                  Appreciate it. The fz1 was the first bike I ever did so there are many mistakes. I'm no pro by any means, all this is done in a one car garage.

I'm leaving pittsburgh in a few hours for a 2000 mile trip trying to find as many twisty roads ai can on the way to deals gap and back. Meeting up with friends at the dragon on friday night and saturday if any of you are around and want to meet up.

Should be better than the last time I did the dragon on my ktm 950 with knobbies on...

Comment

• Originally posted by sailah View Post
                    Appreciate it. The fz1 was the first bike I ever did so there are many mistakes. I'm no pro by any means, all this is done in a one car garage.

I'm leaving pittsburgh in a few hours for a 2000 mile trip trying to find as many twisty roads ai can on the way to deals gap and back. Meeting up with friends at the dragon on friday night and saturday if any of you are around and want to meet up.

Should be better than the last time I did the dragon on my ktm 950 with knobbies on...
                    I hold you personally responsible for planting the thought in my head that I need something with knobbies on it . next time keep your little "projects" out of my view
                    Attached Files

Comment

• Submit to the dark side. We have cookies

Comment

• Very nice. I can't imagine what it's like hauling that around the single-track trails..
                        ..a
                        '01 FZ1 set up for distance
                        '07 FZ1 set up for fun
                        (both in the *faster* blue)

Which would you prefer?

Comment

• I don't know how I missed this for a year, but that is one of the coolest homebuilt bikes I've ever seen.
                          "If you aren't living on the edge you're taking up too much space". Jim Whittaker

Check out my first RR: http://www.yamahafz1oa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=95331

Comment

• Only bumping this so I can find it later. Been looking for it.
                            "Hey Cancer, Téigh trasna ort féin!" - Saying on one of Jackie's pink t-shirts.

Comment

Working...
                            X