Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2012 FZ1 Headlight Conversion

Good Day all,

I've recently purchased a 2012 FZ1 after giving up my 2005 RC51. I wanted a more upright riding position for longer hauls. I really like the FZ1 because of its rep and performance. The only problem I have is that hideous front headlight and cowl! I know it serves its purpose and some guys really like it, but I don't.

That said, after conducting some research, the only places to get the headlight is through EBay or Parts Shark. It's either dropping over $1000 Cdn on the headlight kit from Part Shark (Not happening) or take a chance on crap from China. My question is, has anyone tried a headlight from a Kawi Z1000 or any other good places to do the conversion?

Much appreciated

J

Crickets...

I had this exact same question so I'd figured I'd bump this post...
    How it that Chinese kit I keep seeing in various iterations on Ebay? Anyone? Pics?...Links?...

I'm thinking about going with the FZ8 front headlight setup. I'm concerned about the headlight mount bracket/fairing stay and which parts I'll need. I may just buy the parts separately and then fabricate my own bracket to mount it...

Comment

This is what I have in mind. I found these pics on Google. Anyone know whose bike this is?

#fz1fz8conversion
      #Fz1Fz8headlight
      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
      This gallery has 3 photos.

Comment

Reach out to _Will_ via PM, he just did the swap with the ebay kit and can probably answer your questions.

Comment

I did the euro conversion this year with an eBay kit. It required some bending of the headlight frame from eBay to make it all work, that and I got some hardware from Ace for the mounting of the headlight itself. Mounting the plastic brackets to the headlight housing took some creativity with some self tapping screws, washers, and some grommets for damping. Also used the grommets in the side mounts between the plastic bracket and metal frame.

Overall I like the look and it certainly feels more open going down the road. the longer wiring harness is still an issue but I have popped up the tank to try and pull that in, will probably be an easy clean up after that. Having a headlight that tilts with the bars is nice on night runs I found a few weeks back. Waiting to see how much I miss the wind protection this winter, my heated gear will probably be cranked way up.

the mirrors with the eBay kit were the biggest annoyance, I can run bar end and the ones from the kit only tilt up so far. I remedied that this weekend with a pair off Amazon

Attached Files

Comment

I went ahead and ordered the Ebay FZ1N kit. It seems to be pretty decent quality. I'm not going to use the mirrors or turn signals that came with it...

Here are a few pics of the actual kit. I'll install it this Sunday when I have the time. And I am keeping the original upper fairing and parts, so don't ask...LOL

For YAMAHA FZ1N 2006 - 2015 Fazer Headlight Set Head Turn Signals Light Assembly | eBay

Last edited by Jboat; 10-11-2021, 03:44 PM. Reason: pics

Comment

That’s the exact kit I went with, let me know if you run into any issues.

Comment

Originally posted by _Will_ View Post
                That’s the exact kit I went with, let me know if you run into any issues.
                I got it started yesterday. There were a few “issues”…

The main one is the headlight bracket provided with the kit had to be modified to make it work. The cable brackets got in the way of the ignition and just flat out didn’t work so I had to cut and bend a bit…

I didn’t cut any wires and chose to remove the tank and route them under the airbox.

Is the Fz1n clutch cable longer than the FZ1S? I’m having trouble getting enough slack at full lock. I checked Partzilla and it appears the FZ1N and S clutch cables have different part numbers…

And I’m still deciding on mirror options…

Last edited by Jboat; 10-17-2021, 02:05 PM.

Comment

I also cut the bracket some to bend it out of place for wiring to make room. My clutch cable has been long enough, I’m running lower risers but also higher bend bars. Could be a few factors, mine is lowered 22mm in the front so that buys my a little wiggle room. Yours looks like it’s at stock height.

Comment

Yeah it’s stock ride height in front. I did raise the rear 5 mil with my Nitron shock. I’m also running a 190/55 rear tire so that’s why I haven’t lowered the front yet. Also, I have a 2012 R1 front end that I’ll be installing next…

It works Ok for now…but still tightens up too much at full lock. Just something for others to be aware of if they decide to do this mod. I’ll be installing an N model cable soon…

Comment

The R1 forks are a hair shorter. I want to say 10mm is the commonly quoted value but that’s the 07-08 forks. You’ll have to measure the 2012 forks next to the FZ1 forks when you’ve got the front end apart, the R1 forks may get you the slack you need.

Coincidentally I’ve got a set of 2014 R1 forks and the accompanying parts (axles, calipers, pads) that I’ll be changing too. They came in the mail today, they should hopefully be on by the weekend.

Comment

AF0052C0-D214-447F-B826-4946AF63076E.jpeg
                        Originally posted by _Will_ View Post
                        The R1 forks are a hair shorter. I want to say 10mm is the commonly quoted value but that’s the 07-08 forks. You’ll have to measure the 2012 forks next to the FZ1 forks when you’ve got the front end apart, the R1 forks may get you the slack you need.

Coincidentally I’ve got a set of 2014 R1 forks and the accompanying parts (axles, calipers, pads) that I’ll be changing too. They came in the mail today, they should hopefully be on by the weekend.
                        Yup. It’s my next project waiting in the garage. I’m gonna freshen them up with new fluid and seals before install…I hope my new brake lines work with the R1 calipers! They have swivel banjo fittings so I’m keeping my fingers crossed. I wish they were black but this was all I could find on EBay at the time…

Comment

Mine are gold too, but in my case that was preferred. I like the color scheme of the dark frame and swingarm, gold forks, chain, and bar ends, and red body parts.

Comment

Working...
                          X