Gen 1s Rule

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gen 1s Rule

Since there is no one to refute my proclamation it must be true.

Hell yeah they do!

Comment

Wut

Comment

What?!?!?

I try three different threads, three different posts, and this is the one that sticks??? Lol WUT!?

Comment

What?!?!?

I try three different threads, three different posts, and this is the one that sticks??? Lol WUT!?

Comment

I love my old 02'. I've only got 105,000 on mine...I know some of you have WAY more than that...200 plus. But she's been utterly reliable. Only stranded me once, and that was because I messed with something that I should've left alone. So I consider that MY fault.
            Funny, my wife is dead set on moving to central Florida, around the Ocala area. We are both sick of the winters here in VA. Only thing is, the riding will suck down there as from what I can see, there are no good twisties; or at least, not many. N GA will be the closest good riding, and that's 8 to 9 hrs away. So I do not know if I can justify taking two bikes down there, and the thought of getting rid of the FZ1 breaks my heart. We'll see. Hopefully I can keep both.

Comment

I love my 05 Gen1!!!
              You do not have permission to view this gallery.
              This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Gen Ones Rule!!
                04 FZ-1 Silver/Black
                06 Suzuki DR650
                00 Kawasaki W650
                90 Honda Hawk GT
                79 Honda CBX
                82 Honda CB900F

Comment

Like, totally, dudes.
                  2001 Yamaha FZ1
                  1998 Honda VTR1000 Superhawk

Comment

Bought mine back in 2012 - still have it eight years later - still works just fine (although my carbs are filthy and in desparate need of cleaning). Plus, I've met some great people through this forum - never done that with other bikes.
                    My '02
                    04-06 R1 front end w/ carbon fiber fender; R1 master cylinder; Penske 8981 shock; Ivan's jet kit; SW Motech top/side racks; Givi E360 panniers; Coocase S50 top case; 4 advancer; Throttlemeister cruise control; NC shield w/ laminar lip; Sargent Seat; 17t sprocket; Galfer braided lines; R1 shift arm; 12V outlet; Watsen signals; Competition Werkes fender eliminator; Grip puppies; Oxford heated grips; Tech-Spec tank pads; varied GoPro mounts; custom radiator guard; M4 slip-on.

Comment

I've had 4 Gen 1 FZ1's including my current one.... and a ton of other ones, and I keep coming back to Gen 1 FZ1's I don't know why Yamaha didn't just update the Gen 1 with EFI, and suspension updates instead of totally changing building a new one.... The newer ones are too "sport bikey" for me..... jussayin'
                      03 FZ1

Comment

As far as I know, the only thing wrong with the Gen1 is, it's carburated. That means there is some level of alcohol that will produce too much vapor pressure for the carbs to work right. I don't recall anyone testing the Gen1 carbs to determine what the max alcohol tolerance is. The current push is to allow E15 and eliminate some of the labeling requirements at the pump, so you won't necessarily be able to tell what you are putting in your tank.

If you really like having a carburated bike, someone needs to start vapor testing the carbs and maybe even start working on a kit to increase the vapor pressure tolerance. What would it take to make the the Gen1 flex fuel ready (E80)?

Comment

Originally posted by sloowpoke View Post
                          As far as I know, the only thing wrong with the Gen1 is, it's carburated. That means there is some level of alcohol that will produce too much vapor pressure for the carbs to work right. I don't recall anyone testing the Gen1 carbs to determine what the max alcohol tolerance is. The current push is to allow E15 and eliminate some of the labeling requirements at the pump, so you won't necessarily be able to tell what you are putting in your tank.

If you really like having a carburated bike, someone needs to start vapor testing the carbs and maybe even start working on a kit to increase the vapor pressure tolerance. What would it take to make the the Gen1 flex fuel ready (E80)?

With the current value of Gen 1s in the sub $2000 level I suspect it would make more sense to find a new or used FI bike. With E10 in Massachusetts I still get 50 mpg and all the performance I need and as long as I use it regularly the carbs stay clean.

Comment

No doubt, Gen I's rule!

I now have 3 Gen I carb'ed bikes and wouldn't take twice what the current market would pay for any of them. My '03 has completely stock carbs that have never needed opening, about 74k on the clock. Nothing "wrong" with well done constant velocity carbs. Like anything, FI included, they could be optimized for a particular style of riding, but they work across the board very well.

The other two bikes have been jetted/tuned by the po's, and they are just fine as well.

For flex fuel use at the E85 level, I'm quite sure rejetting would be necessitated, as would a remap and possibly new injectors for a FI machine.
                            -'03 FZ1- "Xena"- Custom Orange/Red paint- FuzzyOne mirror mod- SW Motech QR racks- Givi E460 top- E21 side cases- SS brake lines - Scorpion slip-on- Penske 8987 shock- Throttlemeisters- Sargent seat- R1 shift arm- Custom sprocket cover- Cheap ass battery- Extended passenger pegs - Gauge of Eternal Coolness - Valtermoto Rearsets - LED headlights- Carbon airbox covers- Fehling engine case guards (footrests!)- MRA Vario shield -

Comment

Working...
                            X