Chasing Miles in the Year of Covid 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chasing Miles in the Year of Covid 2020

Didn't have great expectations for bagging a ton of miles this season. Covid was the main concern but also had several family health and estate issues eating tons of my time.

Hadn't looked at the odometer for a while, as it usually stays on Trip 1. About two weeks ago I flipped to ODO and saw I was closing in on 15K miles for this season. Started the season at almost exactly 260K and am currently at 274,905.

Short term weather reports aren't promising to eek out that final 95 miles and get to the 15K season and 275K total maybe next weekend will provide the warmth to get there. Full disclosure I'm on a second motor with my Gen 1,
    I'll post a pic if I hit the mark.

Post up your results.

I'm just short of 10,000 between the 2 bikes. Lower than normal this year since there were 0 commuting miles - and that would normally be 70 miles a day. We're done for the year, snow has fallen.
    The only 3K I put on the Vstrom tells me what I already knew - even after all the work and mods, I still don't like that bike. It'll get sold in the spring and replaced with either a Tracer or FJR.
    Chuck P
    2003 FZ1
    2007 FJR1300A
    http://www.oldjeep.com

Comment

Originally posted by oldjeep View Post
      I'm just short of 10,000 between the 2 bikes. Lower than normal this year since there were 0 commuting miles - and that would normally be 70 miles a day. We're done for the year, snow has fallen.
      The only 3K I put on the Vstrom tells me what I already knew - even after all the work and mods, I still don't like that bike. It'll get sold in the spring and replaced with either a Tracer or FJR.
      I bought a new 2020 FJR1300ES in July and proceeded to put on 11,000 in those first 20 weeks.
      That should tell ya something.
      YAMAHA

Comment

Originally posted by Torchsport View Post

I bought a new 2020 FJR1300ES in July and proceeded to put on 11,000 in those first 20 weeks.
        That should tell ya something.
        It tells me that you have a lot more free time than I do

I'm torn between something a little lighter like the tracer and the big sedan FJR. I think either one will be fine and neither will be new unless I hit the lotto
        Chuck P
        2003 FZ1
        2007 FJR1300A

Comment

This thread sent me down memory lane... I used to take every new bike on a break-in trip. Typically, that would put the machine over 10,000 miles in the first month I owned it. I bought a new AMF Harley and rode it out of warranty in one week, back in 1980 :-)

Lately, I'm pushing what these old joints will tolerate if I put 10,000 miles on a bike in a year.

Comment

Originally posted by isleoman View Post
            275K total maybe next weekend will provide the warmth to get there. Full disclosure I'm on a second motor with my Gen 1,
            I'll post a pic if I hit the mark.

Post up your results.

Holy smokes! I only have 16,000 on my 13' I ride almost every weekend but only 50 to 150 miles normally. Did 400 on the FZ1 only once. I put 15K on my older KLR650 last year and 5,000 this year on my newer one.

Comment

Good to see members are getting out of their hidi-holes and getting some riding in.

Comment

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

• isleoman
                  isleoman commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Got the final 100 miles in to get to 15K for the season and 275K total. I'ts probably 80 miles more now after yesterday

Got the final 100 miles in to get to 15K for the season and 275K total. I'ts probably 80 miles more now after yesterday

Comment

I'm at about 9 thou between my two bikes this year. I've always been a 1 bike only owner until a couple of years ago. As much as I want to, I cannot rack up the miles I used to 10 plus years ago. I had a job that afforded me a good bit of time off...and my cousin and I used to do a lot of road trips. These days, less time off, 1 riding buddy left...though I have no problem riding solo...I actually prefer it, and it seems to rain more here now as silly as that sounds. I still crave weekend and longer getaways, but time is my issue. Now winter coming and I'll really get bummed. I try to ride all winter. But once it's in the 30's or colder, it's just no fun for me.

Comment

I put the FJR away yesterday, FZ has been put away since October. 4300 on the FJR and 2200 on the FZ so a very low year for me. Big trip for the year was canceled, but managed to do a lot of riding fairly local.

Comment

Originally posted by bradd View Post
                      I put the FJR away yesterday, FZ has been put away since October. 4300 on the FJR and 2200 on the FZ so a very low year for me. Big trip for the year was canceled, but managed to do a lot of riding fairly local.
                      When you say put away does that mean take the insurance/plates off or just stored deeper in your garage. By the time I take my insurance and plates off for four or five months it's only about $100 in savings, so I just leave it on year round hoping for an indigenous people summer. Had a nice taste yesterday when temps got back over 50f with bright sunshine. Got in another 100 miles. I do leave my spare Gen 1 unregistered waiting for it's turn at bat.

Comment

Originally posted by isleoman View Post

When you say put away does that mean take the insurance/plates off or just stored deeper in your garage. By the time I take my insurance and plates off for four or five months it's only about $100 in savings, so I just leave it on year round hoping for an indigenous people summer. Had a nice taste yesterday when temps got back over 50f with bright sunshine. Got in another 100 miles. I do leave my spare Gen 1 unregistered waiting for it's turn at bat.
                        Just under cover in the front of the garage with the tender on, washed, oil changed. Move 2 things and I can ride it again, no real savings in dropping insurance. And the DRZ I keep riding, and the FZ1 and BMW I store offsite so homeowners won't cover so I keep insurance on all the bikes.

Comment

My back yard in Central Mass is covered in an inch of icy white stuff.

Roads are covered with a dense coating of salt/sand.

That doesn't stop me from dreaming that this upcoming weekend's 50+ degree temps might provide another chance to chase miles.

Comment

It was 50 yesterday here - In MN. Put another 30 miles or so on running errands. So weird riding in Dec. It is about 45 today, planning on taking it out one more time before the cold comes back tomorrow.
                            Chuck P
                            2003 FZ1
                            2007 FJR1300A

Comment

Working...
                            X