Radiator Hose Replacement time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radiator Hose Replacement time?

Good to get back on here, hope everyone is doing ok, will provide updates, Jan will be having surgery soon.

So Saturday we went for a ride (first time for Jan in a while ) and it seemed like the temp light came on. It was barely noticeable as it's small and it was amber in color.

Is that the WARNING that your bike is running Hot?
    Shouldn't it be a BRIGHT RED?!!!

So on closer inspection once we reached our breakfast spot I noticed this.

Looked at the overflow tank which was low and once the bike was cool pulled the radiator cap and was relieved to see it was to the top.

I put filtered Brita water in the overflow tank up to the Full level line.
    Took about 4 oz or so. Also tightened the hose as the screw turned a few times easily.

Bike has 34,500 miles and I am the second owner at 17,500. Probably has originally coolant.

I have some Engine Ice in the shop for a few years is that ok to use?

Should I replace the hoses? Is the job easy, any tips?

Thanks

“Everytime I start thinkin’ the world is all bad, then I start seeing some people out having a good time on motorcycles and it makes me take another look.”

Steve McQueen--On Any Sunday

Yes, that bulge in the hose means it is weak....

Drain fluid and replace, should be very easy. I'm not aware that Engine Ice would go bad but probably not a bad idea to check their site.
    Why are we here? Because we're here....Roll the bones

Comment

Yes you'll need to change them. Good time to flush radiator also. Those OEM hoses are not cheap. I had the same thing happen last summer and have a new $40 lower hose waiting to go on. Luckily it didn't strand me. Probably one of those parts that aren't worth sourcing on the bay used, since everything is at least 15 years old. I just use the 50/50 dexcool then don't have to worry about low temps.

Comment

I’m under the impression that Engine Ice is more for track use only, and that it’s not recommended for “everyday use”? I think if it spills on the track, it’s less slippery than regular coolant. Splurge on one of the Japanese manufacturers’ coolant, it’s not that expensive and it doesn’t take that much.

I’ll be praying for Jan’s surgery.

Comment

I've used Engine Ice for years as my main coolant in my Fizzy - it's good down to -26f and yes it is a good option on track days but also good as a daily user.

The radiator flush is a great idea too

Comment

Plus 1: engine ice, flush. Possibly go ahead and replace water pump.
            Don't know why they call it Hamburger Helper, stuff does just fine by itself........

My long lost love.......1987 FZ700

Comment

I sit corrected regarding engine ice

Comment

You may have been thinking of water wetter?

Comment

Thanks guys. I ordered all new OEM hoses from Partzilla, $171 delivered.

Looked around at other places and they were backordered so hopefully I will be getting them soon.

I only put in about 4 oz of Brita water and a guy I was riding with said "OH NO YOU DON'T WANT TO DO THAT INSTANT CORROSION!!!

Well I didn't feel like buying a gallon for 4 oz so that's what I did.

Will do a flush just with distilled water this weekend will that be OK, should I use anything else? Someone said vinegar and water.

Thanks for the well wishes on Jan.
                  I am taking her for a Liver ablation this morning and next Thursday is Colon surgery.

This new forum is weird, messages show up as PM's or am I reading something wrong?

Gary

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                  This gallery has 1 photos.
                  “Everytime I start thinkin’ the world is all bad, then I start seeing some people out having a good time on motorcycles and it makes me take another look.”

Comment

Oh and there are TWO #1 hoses.. .

Comment

What about these?
                      https://www.as3performance.co.uk/yam...or-hoses-blue/
                      2009 Yamaha FZ1, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E, 1983 Honda CB1100F, 2006 H-D Fatboy

Previous Rides: 1972 Yamaha DS7, 1977 Yamaha RD 400E, '79 400F Daytona Special, '82 RD350LC, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E (sold that one), 1982 Honda CB900F, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R

Comment

Yes I saw those, but they were MORE expensive and I did not want to deal with coming from UK.

Comment

Originally posted by G_man View Post
                          Thanks guys. I ordered all new OEM hoses from Partzilla, $171 delivered.

Looked around at other places and they were backordered so hopefully I will be getting them soon.

I only put in about 4 oz of Brita water and a guy I was riding with said "OH NO YOU DON'T WANT TO DO THAT INSTANT CORROSION!!!

Well I didn't feel like buying a gallon for 4 oz so that's what I did.

Will do a flush just with distilled water this weekend will that be OK, should I use anything else? Someone said vinegar and water.

Thanks for the well wishes on Jan.
                          I am taking her for a Liver ablation this morning and next Thursday is Colon surgery.

This new forum is weird, messages show up as PM's or am I reading something wrong?

Gary
                          4 ounces of Brita water is not going to cause instant corrosion.
                          2001 Yamaha FZ1
                          1998 Honda VTR1000 Superhawk

Comment

Looked at the overflow tank which was low and once the bike was cool pulled the radiator cap and was relieved to see it was to the top.

I put filtered Brita water in the overflow tank up to the Full level line.
                            Took about 4 oz or so.
                            Sounds good. We do whatever it takes to get back home and that was an easy call.

Did you point out to him that the overflow tank is plastic and plastic doesn't corrode?

Comment

OMG! Brita water, 4 entire ounces, in the overflow tank no less! I’m going out and buying Brita stock today!

Comment

Working...
                              X