Radiator Hose Replacement time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by G_man View Post
    Yes I saw those, but they were MORE expensive and I did not want to deal with coming from UK.
    They are 115 bucks. I ordered a set and they tell me 1 week.
    2009 Yamaha FZ1, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E, 1983 Honda CB1100F, 2006 H-D Fatboy

Previous Rides: 1972 Yamaha DS7, 1977 Yamaha RD 400E, '79 400F Daytona Special, '82 RD350LC, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E (sold that one), 1982 Honda CB900F, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R

Comment

So I drained the coolant and I am not the original owner so do not know if it's the stuff that came with the bike.

It was still fairly green and I flushed it out with vinegar and distilled water, started the bike and drained.

Repeated one more time with just distilled water.

Questions
      When I start the bike and rap the throttle every now and then how can you tell if the thermostat opens? I ran it for about 4 -5 minutes.

Looking inside the radiator I can see tiny
      silver specs around the inside of the radiator cap area.

Is this normal?

I still do not have the hoses yet and left the bike with the radiator cap off and the drain plug open is this OK or am I inviting it to corrosion?

Thanks
      “Everytime I start thinkin’ the world is all bad, then I start seeing some people out having a good time on motorcycles and it makes me take another look.”

Steve McQueen--On Any Sunday

Comment

I plan to flush it one more time with distilled water and want to ride around the block before I drain it. I will do this when I finally get the hoses.

Oh and the Fan is working fine.
        “Everytime I start thinkin’ the world is all bad, then I start seeing some people out having a good time on motorcycles and it makes me take another look.”

Comment

Bike would have to be up to temp for the thermostat to open. I don't think leaving the hoses off for a few days will cause any problem at all....
          Why are we here? Because we're here....Roll the bones

Comment

How do I know when it's up to temp. I was running it on my Bike Lift for about 4-5 minutes.

The straight distilled water came out pretty scalding HOT.

Comment

There seems to be some TINY silver flakes like silver metalflake very small in the plastic jugs I put the used fluid in.
              You can see it in the rim of radiator fill hole.

Any ideas?

Comment

Just got the AS3 hoses from EnglandFZ1 Hoses.jpg
                Attached Files
                2009 Yamaha FZ1, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E, 1983 Honda CB1100F, 2006 H-D Fatboy

Previous Rides: 1972 Yamaha DS7, 1977 Yamaha RD 400E, '79 400F Daytona Special, '82 RD350LC, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E (sold that one), 1982 Honda CB900F, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R

Comment

Looks like I fuked up....

Comment

So I drained the coolant and I am not the original owner so do not know if it's the stuff that came with the bike.

It was still fairly green and I flushed it out with vinegar and distilled water, started the bike and drained.

Repeated one more time with just distilled water.

Questions
                    When I start the bike and rap the throttle every now and then how can you tell if the thermostat opens? I ran it for about 4 -5 minutes.

Looking inside the radiator I can see tiny
                    silver specs around the inside of the radiator cap area.

Is this normal?

I still do not have the hoses yet and left the bike with the radiator cap off and the drain plug open is this OK or am I inviting it to corrosion?

Thanks
                    Let it idle until the fan kicks on and you know the engine is up to full operating temperature. That is the only way to know if the thermostat is open. Note also that the thermostat has a small bleed hole at the top (if it is installed correctly) to let air pockets escape. You can see a little bit of coolant flow change in the radiator by raising and lowering water pump speed via changes in engine speed.

Silver specs are normal. Not sure exactly what it is, maybe corrosion inhibitors in the OE coolant? But it is not uncommon to see that.

Comment

Looks like I fuked up....
                      Why?

Comment

Originally posted by arkie6 View Post

Why?
                        I hesitated on buying those hoses from the UK and Fizzman got them in a week.

I ordered OEM ones from Partzilla and after I placed the order find out 4 are backordered.

The last one will arrive March 5.

Comment

I hesitated on buying those hoses from the UK and Fizzman got them in a week.

I ordered OEM ones from Partzilla and after I placed the order find out 4 are backordered.

The last one will arrive March 5.
                          Yeah I hate to say it but Partzilla are a bunch of assholes like that.
                          I literally put my fairing in the cart, went through all the checkout stuff and all I had to do is click one thing and my order would be placed. I then called their customer service and talked to someone to make sure it was indeed in stock as well as estimated shipping/delivery times. Guy said they had multiple in stock so I finalized my order. A week later they still hadn't even shipped it and it took me calling them only to find out it was on backorder even though I verified beforehand that it was in stock. Ended up taking a month and a half to receive my package when it was originally supposed to take less than a week.
                          won't ever be going through those assholes again....

Comment

Originally posted by Fizzman View Post
                            Just got the AS3 hoses from EnglandFZ1 Hoses.jpg
                            Have you installed your hoses yet?

Comment

Working...
                            X