Sell as is or back to stock?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sell as is or back to stock?

Well I put money down on a 2021 mt09 so it looks like the Fz is on its way out. I have had the bike since 2012 and only has 4900 miles! I have everything to bring it back to stock but wondering if anyone out there would appreciate what this bike has become. Also wondering what your opinion is on price stock versus modded?

09 4900 miles, vnut tune, air box mod, one down on the front, bmc filter, 2008 R1 forks rebuilt 400 miles ago, 6 pot R1 calipers, genuine fz1n conversion, satan R1 rear shock, belly pan, slip on, front and rear dirt road seat, satan R1 rear sets, new battery, new Bridgestone S22's, oil just changed.

Cheers
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 2 photos.

You will end up with more money if you take it back to stock and sell the mods unless you find a buyer that wants to pay a bit more for it.
    Loosenut
    A.K.A. Mike
    YouTube channel - Loosenut FZ

2016 Yamaha FZ-09
    1997 Honda GoldWing
    2008 GasGas 250 TXT Pro

2004 GasGas Pampera 280 (hers)

Comment

The bike, I imagine, will be more desirable with the mods. Agreed that you might wind up with a little extra if you sell off the mods, but I'm not sure the effort will be worth it. You could wind up with around a 500-1k from the parts, but then struggle to sell the bike.

I'd list it for what you think is a fair price as-is and then revisit the idea of parting if it doesn't sell.

Not sure where you are, but the used market has been hot here in So California. Probably the fastest moving in years, right now.

Comment

I don't know that there is much money there in take offs. Bikes are selling quick around here for unreasonable prices - so post it up on craigslist with your I have a dream price and you might be pleasantly surprised. I recently sold my 2004 DL1000 for about 500-1K more than anyone would expect to get for it. The 4900 miles is just crazy on a 12 year old bike. I just bought a 2007 FJR with 16K on it, amazing how much some bikes sit around.
        Chuck P
        2003 FZ1
        2007 FJR1300A
        http://www.oldjeep.com

Comment

Originally posted by oldjeep View Post
          I don't know that there is much money there in take offs. Bikes are selling quick around here for unreasonable prices - so post it up on craigslist with your I have a dream price and you might be pleasantly surprised. I recently sold my 2004 DL1000 for about 500-1K more than anyone would expect to get for it. The 4900 miles is just crazy on a 12 year old bike. I just bought a 2007 FJR with 16K on it, amazing how much some bikes sit around.
          This is true. The used bike market is a bit crazy. However, the stock suspension isn't worth crap and you will be tossing it out most likely.
          Loosenut
          A.K.A. Mike
          YouTube channel - Loosenut FZ

2016 Yamaha FZ-09
          1997 Honda GoldWing
          2008 GasGas 250 TXT Pro

2004 GasGas Pampera 280 (hers)

Comment

Originally posted by loosenut View Post

This is true. The used bike market is a bit crazy. However, the stock suspension isn't worth crap and you will be tossing it out most likely.
            If I sell the bike modded it will go with the bike otherwise completely stock I see no problem getting 5K for this bike just my opinion but two years ago I would say four tops. Hell if they keep printing money it might be worth 6!

Comment

Originally posted by BruinFZ1guy View Post
              The bike, I imagine, will be more desirable with the mods. Agreed that you might wind up with a little extra if you sell off the mods, but I'm not sure the effort will be worth it. You could wind up with around a 500-1k from the parts, but then struggle to sell the bike.

I'd list it for what you think is a fair price as-is and then revisit the idea of parting if it doesn't sell.

Not sure where you are, but the used market has been hot here in So California. Probably the fastest moving in years, right now.
              I like this idea

Comment

Originally posted by fz1rick View Post

If I sell the bike modded it will go with the bike otherwise completely stock I see no problem getting 5K for this bike just my opinion but two years ago I would say four tops. Hell if they keep printing money it might be worth 6!
                I would think 5K would be pretty reasonable. There is only 1 FZ1 for sale near me - for just under 6K. Fair number of mods, but the ugly (in my opinion) paint scheme.
                2009 Yamaha FZ1 - motorcycles/scooters - by owner - vehicle... (craigslist.org)
                Chuck P
                2003 FZ1
                2007 FJR1300A

Comment

I would think 5K would be pretty reasonable. There is only 1 FZ1 for sale near me - for just under 6K. Fair number of mods, but the ugly (in my opinion) paint scheme.
                  2009 Yamaha FZ1 - motorcycles/scooters - by owner - vehicle... (craigslist.org)
                  I'm in Minnesota myself. I saw that one nice bike

Comment

The more I think about it there really isn't a whole lot to sell. Mainly forks rear rear suspension

Comment

Originally posted by fz1rick View Post

I'm in Minnesota myself. I saw that one nice bike
                      Ah, a local guy. Where is the MT09 coming from - motoprimo or simply street bikes?
                      Chuck P
                      2003 FZ1
                      2007 FJR1300A

Comment

Ah, a local guy. Where is the MT09 coming from - motoprimo or simply street bikes?
                        It's actually a SP. Ended up ordering it from simply the only one in the state that's verified for delivery at this point

Comment

At first I ordered just the regular Mt in the gray but ended up selling myself on the ohlins shock and more adjustable front forks.

Comment

I think it'd be easier and faster to sell if it you went back to stock. That's been both my experience when I've tried to sell something, and my preference when choosing what to buy.

Otherwise you have to find someone that likes your mods in particular, which isn't always easy.

The $$$ from selling the add-ons separately would be a bonus.

The low mileage helps of course.

And I think you're smart to go for the SP version of the '21 MT-09. That's the feature/performance bike steal in the market IMO.

Comment

Wait
                              does r1 rear sets a direct bolt-on to the fz1?

I am rebuilding a 2nd gen fz1 and looking for fz1s* conversion, rear sets, muffler, handle bars, and stock tail-license plate holder.

Comment

Working...
                              X