Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many miles do you have on your bike?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many miles do you have on your bike?

So what is on your bike for miles? If you would also list anything that would help others get to that level. Parts/maint list that you did to get there. I have seen some with HIGH miles, I wouldn't have guessed that someone could get over 100k but there are many????
    harry

Quite a few well over 100K - my 03 is right at 65000.... Pretty much tires, filters, and oil changes - one valve adjustment a couple sets of plugs.
    Why are we here? Because we're here....Roll the bones

Comment

that is good to hear, what type of oil?
      harry

Comment

I use Mobil 1 in most of my vehicles.
        Why are we here? Because we're here....Roll the bones

Comment

Per request in other thread........ not that I'm bashful about sharing my mileage. My original Gen 1 has 285K on it. 150K on the original motor, the balance on the replacement.
          One valve adjustment on original motor at 75K and everything was still in spec. That was the last adjustment I've had done.

Original motor ran OK right up till the day I replaced it. It had lost some compression and snap but it didn't smoke. It did use about a pint of oil every 2000 miles. A used motor came up here with about 6K on it for $400 and it seemed like a no brainer. The replacement motor still runs great at 135K. Uses about a pint of oil every 2000 miles. Bike should make it to 300K.

I'm on my fourth set of forks. I used the syn diesel oil mostly on the first motor, but now use Mobil 1 15-50 syn. Typically change oil every 5K. Still get 50 mpg. Penske rear shock on original bike and BMW shock on spare. Lots of two up riding, but never any long trips.

Spare Gen 1 has about 6K on it. It waits in the wings hoping for a chance to someday get in the game.

I stay on top of mechanical and suspension stuff, aside from valve adjustments. My three hints are for ease of ownership. 1. Keep the center stand. 2. Get an extra set of wheels and keep a set of fresh rubber on them (reduces down time). 3. Most important, Ride more, worry less!

Comment

1. Keep the center stand. 2. Get an extra set of wheels and keep a set of fresh rubber on them (reduces down time). 3. Most important, Ride more, worry less! all good info!!!
            harry

Comment

Had over 100K on my FZ when I sold it after buying my FJR
              Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

"I ride not to add days to my life, but to add LIFE to my days."

"Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the people who are doing it."

"Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and JUST BE HAPPY."

Comment

I've got right around 70K on my 2003 FZ1. All it gets is Rotella T6, which is what the previous owner used.
                Chuck P
                2003 FZ1
                2007 FJR1300A
                http://www.oldjeep.com

Comment

105k, besides the oil, tires, plugs, brake pads, chain and sprockets I had the fuel pump and stator go bad, and the white connectors. Rotella T6. Replace the white connectors, ride it.

Burns half quart every 3000 miles, second gear slips sometimes. Should probably rebuild the engine one of these winters but still a great riding bike and I'd ride it across country today if I had to.

Comment

74k, mostly Rotella T6 in 15/40, changed every 3-5k miles. Keep it garaged or at least covered up, semi-clean. Weather and UV are a huge enemy.

"Not riding" is also the enemy, especially with a carb'd engine. Ride it daily and it'll last 200k plus miles. Let it sit and you may end up with enough problems you sell it for too cheap with less than 20k. My 03, built in July of 02 is still on the OEM carbs, so the alcohol in the fuel apparently doesn't eat them up, if you ride and keep fresh fuel in there. Let it sit for extended periods and the results will differ. Yeah, 19 years on the OEM carbs. Runs great.

Occasionally, ride it like you stole it, within your limits. Unless you ride extended wheelies down the interstate, you won't hurt the engine.

Yep, over 200k is attainable. Probably 300k. Where's Denise?

Ride more, worry less. Don't fret over oil or filter brands, or even tires. Keep it modern and recent, you'll be good to go.
                    -'03 FZ1- "Xena"- Custom Orange/Red paint- FuzzyOne mirror mod- SW Motech QR racks- Givi E460 top- E21 side cases- SS brake lines - Scorpion slip-on- Penske 8987 shock- Throttlemeisters- Sargent seat- R1 shift arm- Custom sprocket cover- Cheap ass battery- Extended passenger pegs - Gauge of Eternal Coolness - Valtermoto Rearsets - LED headlights- Carbon airbox covers- Fehling engine case guards (footrests!)- MRA Vario shield -

Comment

27k on my 05. Next year that will likely double.
                      05 fz1, 91 rgv250, 86 gszr750 custom, 86 gsxr1100 survivor. Cause bucket list.

Comment

127,649 miles on the 2002 gen.1, and 35,482 miles on the ex Pat G., 2001 gen.1. For oil on the high mileage bike, I throw in whatever is on sale at the local auto parts store. 20-50 in that one, changed at 2k miles, every oil change. Oil filter, every other oil change. If I run the ol' wreck hard on a run, then it uses about half a quart between oil changes. Funny thing is, never see any smoke out of the device. Have zero idea where the oil is going! That being said, the thing still runs perfectly. Great bike, even with all those miles on it.

The 2001 model with the low mileage, uses zero oil between oil changes. That bike was use to having Mobil 1 in it from day one, and I continue with the same 15-50 oil that he used. I change that full syn. oil every 4k miles, with oil filter every other oil change. Incredible bike, that 2001 model.

The 2002 has a R6R shock in it, and the 2001 model has a remote bladder Penske shock. The Penske is slightly better, but not light years better. At $400.00 completely freshly rebuilt and free shipping included, I could not pass it by. I would never pay over a grand for that shock, new. The price point for a R6R shock kit is very good, for street riding. Track riding, then a Penske or other high priced shock, is the way to go.

I keep two spare front wheels and two spare rears, for the bikes. Along with that five spare front tires, and five rear tires. All new tires. Pick them up on sale, from time to time. During the covid thing, there were numerous great tire bargains out there!

Okay, thats it for now.

Dean
                        Dean Dinnetz

Comment

Just shy of 290,000 miles on the original motor but this past year had a small accident and had to have new forks, rim and handlebars due to me trying to pass 2 cars only to have the front one decide to turn left at the last moment. Almost got it shut down but not quite and hit and fell over. No damage to me or my gear only my pride. Patrick (Grommet) and Rob(don't know his handle here) rebuilt it with parts from John's bike out of Austin (forget his handle on here). Got it back only to find out that the chain cam tensioner was starting to make a noise and it was back ordered for 3 months from Japan. Got antsy that it wasn't going to arrive in time to go to Bike Week so got one off of ebay. Got it home 1st part of Feb and last part of Feb stepped between it and my car to pick up a snow shovel and managed to tear my right meniscus. Took almost another 2 months to get insurance to even agree to MRI/Surgery - had to do therapy as if that would fix. Finally got fixed and now having to work on getting my strength & flexibility back on my own as they won't pay for PT after the surgery - go figure. So from Sept to June I managed to ride maybe 2 times but I'm back hopefully. Just over 10k to hit the magic 300k so not sure it will be until next year but I'm back to working on it.
                          Anyway other than that just, tires, brakes, general maintenance and a few valve checks all within spec. Use Mobil One Synthetic and it does use a couple of ounces ever 300-500 miles depending on the type of riding but I ride with spare 3 ounce bottles as back up.
                          Denise Dickenson - 01 FZ1(blue) http://www.fz1grl.net or http://www.okmsta.com/fz1grl 234,567 and still going... at 289K now!
                          Motorcycle Sport Touring Association - http://www.sporttouring.us and Oklahoma MSTA http://www.okmsta.com
                          200,000 Mile Club

Comment

Hey Denise:

Glad to hear you are getting better!

Few years ago, I went to pick up something heavy, and was laid up for about two/three weeks. At 76 years of age, I won't be doing that again.

Anyway, as mentioned heal quickly, and all the best to you and yours.

Dean
                            Dean Dinnetz

Comment

Denise! Glad to hear you're on the mend and the bike is in good shape awaiting your return. Take good care and look forward to hearing more from you.
                              -'03 FZ1- "Xena"- Custom Orange/Red paint- FuzzyOne mirror mod- SW Motech QR racks- Givi E460 top- E21 side cases- SS brake lines - Scorpion slip-on- Penske 8987 shock- Throttlemeisters- Sargent seat- R1 shift arm- Custom sprocket cover- Cheap ass battery- Extended passenger pegs - Gauge of Eternal Coolness - Valtermoto Rearsets - LED headlights- Carbon airbox covers- Fehling engine case guards (footrests!)- MRA Vario shield -

Comment

Working...
                              X