Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Your Most Recent Purchase(pics required!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Picking up one of these tonight. Roland cajon. Pretty stoked to tinker with it.

-T
    Swapped the '05 FZ1 for an '17 Ariens 28 Deluxe.
    My music: https://youtu.be/I51ScSCpOxU
    More of my music: shitftolow.com

Comment

• I found this 09 KLR650 for $1,800 with 15K miles. Needed a new front tire but other than that and a scratch on the tank, close to perfect.
      Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by roundhouse View Post
        I found this 09 KLR650 for $1,800 with 15K miles. Needed a new front tire but other than that and a scratch on the tank, close to perfect.
        Winner winner dinner!!!
        "Hey Cancer, Tιigh trasna ort fιin!" - Saying on one of Jackie's pink t-shirts.

Comment

I found this 09 KLR650 for $1,800 with 15K miles. Needed a new front tire but other than that and a scratch on the tank, close to perfect.
          Hot damn! How do you say no to that?!

Comment

Damn! That looks great. I'm really drawn to the KLR. I imagine it would be a great bike for city riding/running errands as well as backroad fun (with some suspension help).

I imagine the tires have tubes, yes? I've never had a motorcycle with tubes. Is it a downside? Can the bike be converted to tubeless?

How is the KLR on the highway for relatively short (20-30 miles) stints?

TIA for your input.

Comment

• Originally posted by Longboardr View Post
              Shame they're not running ham radio. A $20ish handheld Baofeng UV-5R puts the CB band to shame.

Edit: I'm not pooh poohing Midland CBs, it's just frustrating trying to get people to study a couple nights and get their ham license.
              I think ham radio is like recumbent bicycles. Forever about to take off and gain mass market acceptance.

But it never quite happens.

I don't know why these things happen.

I'll let you know how this CB works on a bike platform.

Originally posted by roundhouse View Post
              I've had two and don't want another but I'd have bought that one just to flip it and make a few bucks.
              Patient zero.

Partly stabilized, partly curious.

Be your own man; don't be an owned man.

Some people would rather be dead than wrong.

Comment

• My last installment of dual sport gear.

Tusk dry bag. I went with Mosko Moto panniers but I'm not sold on the top dry bag concept quite yet so I went with the much less expensive Tusk bag so I could try it out without investing as much.

Rok straps.

Extra tie down loops.

Double take mirrors.

I have a little more than a week to get my KLX and all this gear ready to go. Should be able to get it done before I leave for AZ but I'm sure I'll be up all night before getting all the last minute stuff done.
                Patient zero.

Comment

• What a steal on that bike! A find like that would have me owning a bike again. Although I have no idea how you do a title transfer right now... I think our "RMV" (why it's not DMV here like everywhere else I'll never know) isn't even open.

-T
                  Swapped the '05 FZ1 for an '17 Ariens 28 Deluxe.
                  My music: https://youtu.be/I51ScSCpOxU
                  More of my music: shitftolow.com

Comment

• Originally posted by val guy View Post

I imagine the tires have tubes, yes? I've never had a motorcycle with tubes. Is it a downside? Can the bike be converted to tubeless?

They've got tubes. If you've changed tires on your street bike then tube tires just take a little more knowledge to do yourself, definitely not hard and you don't even have to break a bead. They do make tube-bliss tires or however it's spelled, has a little bladder in by the wheel and you have two pressures to set. Not worth the extra work imnsho, I ride around with well under 10psi and have had minimal problems, though I won't do it high speed through rocks at low pressure.
                    '05 Liquid Silver FZ1: Traxxion Springs/Axxion Valves • R6R Shock • Multi-Gauge V7.1 • '00-'01 R1 Shift Arm • Soupys Adjustable Bones • Devilsyam Frame Plugs • Convertibars • Oxford Heaterz with Symtec control • GYT-R CF Slip On • Fren Tubo SS Brake Lines • Brembo Pads • Fehling Case Guards • Ninja 250 Highway Pegs • Pyramid Hugger • Sargent Seat • FIAMM 72112 Freeway Blaster Horn • Vista Cruise Throttle Lock • The2wheels Shorty Levers • Axio Tail Bag •

Comment

• I'm envious of your trip grommet, bet you're gonna have a blast. Those Rok straps are the bomb, the elastic is pure genius. I wasn't impressed with the Double Take mirrors, had problems with them vibrating down, the WR250 is a pretty shaky bike though. I went with the Highway Dirt Bike setup but admittedly it's a much more expensive setup. CB should be fine and I see your point, never wanted to buy a recumbent bike.
                      '05 Liquid Silver FZ1: Traxxion Springs/Axxion Valves • R6R Shock • Multi-Gauge V7.1 • '00-'01 R1 Shift Arm • Soupys Adjustable Bones • Devilsyam Frame Plugs • Convertibars • Oxford Heaterz with Symtec control • GYT-R CF Slip On • Fren Tubo SS Brake Lines • Brembo Pads • Fehling Case Guards • Ninja 250 Highway Pegs • Pyramid Hugger • Sargent Seat • FIAMM 72112 Freeway Blaster Horn • Vista Cruise Throttle Lock • The2wheels Shorty Levers • Axio Tail Bag •

Comment

• Originally posted by Todd S View Post
                        What a steal on that bike! A find like that would have me owning a bike again. Although I have no idea how you do a title transfer right now... I think our "RMV" (why it's not DMV here like everywhere else I'll never know) isn't even open.

-T
                        Here in CA it's pretty slick for simple title transfers, when you have the pink. They have a "virtual" dmv counter. Go online, upload pics of the docs, wait a couple days, they send you a link where you can go pay.

Come to think of it, seems kinda scammy. Was through the legit DMV site, though, and I followed up by calling the legit DMV number to check the status before the invoice link came to my email.

Comment

• How is the KLR on the highway for relatively short (20-30 miles) stints?

TIA for your input.
                          My friend has a KLR as his only bike. When we go for a ride, he has no problem keeping up, and never complains about be uncomfortable. He did mount a little bikini screen over the speedometer/tach unit. I don't know how it would be on a an interstate.

Comment

That is a supreme find. I have virtually no need for a KLR. I still woulda bought it.

Comment

• Originally posted by grommet View Post

The handheld antennas are ok for short distance but the longer one gives it a lot more range.
                              Even in good conditions, full power CB at 4 watts, and the best mobile antenna setup, you might get a few miles. That can quickly and easily get down to 1/4 mile when all the aforementioned become compromised.

For your very particular situation it will probably do what you need, especially when that is what everyone else has. Just don't expect several miles unless the setup is tuned with the antenna well and you're on a good hill.

Originally posted by Longboardr View Post
                              Shame they're not running ham radio. A $20ish handheld Baofeng UV-5R puts the CB band to shame.

Edit: I'm not pooh poohing Midland CBs, it's just frustrating trying to get people to study a couple nights and get their ham license.

+ Infinity. The cheap handhelds are nothing short of a spectacular value considering their cost vs. capability. The current Technician rating is an easy test to study for and pass. Using hamstudy.org on your pc is free and super way to learn based on the specific questions that may be on the test. Your local club may also offer "ham cram" sessions and testing, which make it even easier. My club/VE only charges $10/ test, so cost is not an issue.

https://hamstudy.org/

CB is incredibly limited in capability but still survives, and is barely more than the cheap walkie-talkies we had as kids. The only reason they continue to sell (I think), is because most have the idea that HAM radio is about some geek (me) in a room full of communications equipment that rivals a commercial radio station, and you don't have to take a (simple) test. The test is very easy, with many non-geeks easily passing.

The little handie-talkies (HT) now available for amateur radio typically offer a minimum of 5 watts VHF and 4 watts UHF. Some, like my TYT uv8000e, do almost 10 watts on VHF. These little things can then easily reach a local repeater, which gives you the ability to potentially talk to someone 60-100 miles away. They receive all the weather bands, so you can listen to that robot guy give the local report.

The BaoFeng is super cheap: https://www.amazon.com/BaoFeng-UV-5R...s%2C272&sr=8-3

The TYT is a bit more, with increased power, battery life, and crossband repeat: https://www.radioddity.com/products/...gramming-cable

I have another radio in my truck, TYT 9800+, which can be used as a repeater. Park the truck up high somewhere, then use the HT to it, and the 65 watts with excellent antenna can easily reach a "real" repeater or just another user possibly 20-40 miles away.

Interestingly, that truck radio can do CB stuff at short ranges, even though CB is AM and the radio is FM. Shouldn't really, but it does. (Legally it cannot be used for CB as it is not certified for that Part.)

If anyone is thinking CB, I'd urge you to consider amateur radio. The cost and complexity of entry are lower and easier than ever. Once you use it, you'll understand and be glad you did.

KN4LJR
                              -'03 FZ1- "Xena"- Custom Orange/Red paint- FuzzyOne mirror mod- SW Motech QR racks- Givi E460 top- E21 side cases- SS brake lines - Scorpion slip-on- Penske 8987 shock- Throttlemeisters- Sargent seat- R1 shift arm- Custom sprocket cover- Cheap ass battery- Extended passenger pegs - Gauge of Eternal Coolness - Valtermoto Rearsets - LED headlights- Carbon airbox covers- Fehling engine case guards (footrests!)- MRA Vario shield -

Comment

• This was mostly to keep my brother happy about being able to talk. Whether it works or how well it works compared to anything else is, for now, secondary to the idea of having it at all.

If I decide to get into ham radio, there is a guy where I work who I call "Over the Horizon". I gave him that nickname because he used the phrase while talking to me about ham radio stuff with a sort of crazed look in his eye. He's probably forgotten more about radios than most people will ever learn. He volunteers at Radio Shack every Saturday morning, fixing radios that customers bring in broken. He's a bit out there, but a great resource for all things amateur radio.
                                Patient zero.

Comment

Working...
                                X