No announcement yet.

Helmet lifespan.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

> 5 years or 1 crash, whichever comes first.

Heh, I used to talk like that, but then I gave up crashing back in 1976 when I quit riding off road.

Comment

Also If was a manufacturer of expensive crash helmets I would also advise that one buys a new helmet on a regular basis. Me I'll buy another when the lining straps or shell gets torn, sloppy or damaged, my own has a removable liner that I take out and hand wash once in a while, it's still in great shape and lives in an air conditioned closet unless it's actually on my head hurtling down the Hi way.

Comment

I found a mint rf700 today for a affordable 40 dollars in an antique store.

Comment

Originally posted by _Will_ View Post
          I found a mint rf700 today for a affordable 40 dollars in an antique store.
          I had a few of those. Great helmets in their day.

What is the top lining like, in your new to you, helmet?

Dean
          Dean Dinnetz

Comment

Originally posted by Dean Dinnetz View Post
            I had a few of those. Great helmets in their day.

What is the top lining like, in your new to you, helmet?

Dean
            Oh I didnít buy it, I wear an XL and this was an XS. Regarding the condition of the interior, it looked and felt like it was never so much as tried on, pretty much a museum piece from my short inspection.

Comment

I crashed in a 6 year old Shoei and only had minor brain damage.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam9 View Post
                I crashed in a 6 year old Shoei and only had minor brain damage.
                No CTE here!
                Take me to your Liter!

Comment

While for some helmets and storage conditions the 5 year rule may not apply I've had friends pull out old helmets where you could poke your finger in the foam. I can't think of a good non-destructive test to see if a helmet would still do its job.

Comment

I'd like to see a helmet with user replaceable styrofoam. But, the manufacturers don't want to cut into those hefty margins of new lids.
                    -'03 FZ1- "Xena"- Custom Orange/Red paint- FuzzyOne mirror mod- SW Motech QR racks- Givi E460 top- E21 side cases- SS brake lines - Scorpion slip-on- Penske 8987 shock- Throttlemeisters- Sargent seat- R1 shift arm- Custom sprocket cover- Cheap ass battery- Extended passenger pegs - Gauge of Eternal Coolness - Valtermoto Rearsets - LED headlights- Carbon airbox covers- Fehling engine case guards (footrests!)- MRA Vario shield -

Comment

Working...
                    X