Clutch OEM or Aftermarket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch OEM or Aftermarket

I know there is a thread or ten on which is better OEM or aftermarket clutch parts are best to replace a 02 clutch. The silver machine is not easy to get in and out of 1st 2nd neutral, with 50k and the cable adjusted all the way out, its probably time.for a fresh set of plates and springs. thanks for any help

OEM has always been recommended. Some drag racers have used stronger springs (Barnett maybe?) with the oem plates, but don’t use aftermarket plates. But there is another problem with the “clutch button” coming out. There is a small oil galley plug that pops out sometimes and causes problems. Check out this thread. There are other threads on the subject too if you search.
    http://www.fz1oa.com/forum/forum/fz1...roblem?t=59420
    "‎Don't count the days; make the days count." Muhammad Ali

Comment

50K really isn't very many miles on a Gen 1 clutch. I'd look at Fitty's suggestion before ordering anything.

Comment

I replaced mine at 48,000 miles and it wasn't the first time it's been done although I've only owned the bike since 38k.

If you wheelie, launch hard, ride fast, etc, its not gonna last like some think. No issue with the plug in the end of the shaft either.

I went with oem steels and fibers but went with the EBC 10% stiffer springs. Honestly, I don't like the excessive force it takes to pull the lever with the heavier springs but hopefully they'll make the clutch last a bit longer.
        ​​​​
        I also replaced the clutch cable soon after but I'd strongly suggest to buy OEM there as well. Stay away from Motionpro. Ended up being slightly longer than the old one I swapped it out for so I have less adjustment than I should.

Comment

I've been having a bear of a time finding posts on the forum via google after the change to the website, thanks Fitty for the link that was super helpful. I don't think it is dragging , shifts really nicely once in gear and does not move with the lever pulled in, up or down hot or cold its clunky getting into neutral 1st and 2nd. Its usually non-existent after fresh oil. I'm ordering a new gasket and clutch cable to start. Thanks for the help.

Comment

I had a hard time making that link work too. I found it in a thread that I found through a search. The link didn't work now because of the name change. I just changed the name of the forum at the start of the link to fz1oa.com and it worked.

Comment

Have you checked to make sure that the heim joints on the shift shaft are not binding at all? If either end binds, you'll have exactly that issue.
              Why are we here? Because we're here....Roll the bones

Comment

Good point, and worth checking.

Comment

I think heim joint is good, there was a little squeaking and lubed that right out. I'm going to change the cable and check the plug. After reading through a couple of these threads, its would be stupid not to check it , but how does one know if the clutch plates need replacing ? Are there tell tale signs . She makes me rider her fast......

Comment

If the clutch is slipping it needs replacing.

Comment

Always OEM

Comment

Working...
                      X