Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting rid of the damper spring in the clutch

I tried to search this with no avail.

Has anyone replaced the clutch damper spring and seat with a full size friction plate? Did you also change the steel plate? This is very popular "mod" on other bikes.

All I know about this is from Kevin Cameron articles about why the dampers are there.

Comment

Sorry, I called it the wrong thing. Yamaha calls it a cushion spring. Honda calls it a jutter spring

Comment

This is from a FZR1000 forum, has anyone tried this on the FZ1?

“The idea behind the narrower (radial cross-section; same axial thickness) fiber and wave spring (pushing the adjacent steels APART) with the smaller bikes was (IMHO) to reduce the clutch spring squeeze for easier feathering and modulation; a lot of the little sport bikes had fairly tall gearing. It was far easier to do this than to redesign and remanufacture the clutch hubs and spring towers for reduced compression, as well as far cheaper to retro-fit this upgrade (and it IS an upgrade, for those bikes that benefit from it).

I would suggest for the 1ks that this is not only unnecessary, it's actually counter-productive, as these bikes are known for slipping and eventually grenading their clutches. Removing the modified fiber and wave spring is literally as easy as, well, removing the modified fiber plate and wave spring, and replacing it with a standard 'mid-pack' fiber plate.

The fact that members on this board have reported catastrophic failures of this modified plate just emphasizes that this was a Bad Idea ™.”

Comment

Found a discussion about this on the R1 forum, mixed reviews. Same clutch as the FZ1.

Comment

Why? Other then the clutch plug coming out, I haven't heard of many clutch failures on these bikes and many have a ton of miles on them....
            Why are we here? Because we're here....Roll the bones

Comment

Originally posted by rswebscan View Post
              Why? Other then the clutch plug coming out, I haven't heard of many clutch failures on these bikes and many have a ton of miles on them....
              Its more about the clutch "feel" than longevity. I did this mod on my CRF250 and it made quite a bit of difference in the feel of the clutch. The jutter spring basically slows down the clutch engagement, by removing it the clutch feels more responsive. Its not for everyone, I was just wondering if anyone had done this mod. I would think that his would be a popular mod for anyone who drag races their bike. The last friction plate only has 1/2 the wear surface than the rest. I was actually surprised when I took the clutch apart, the smaller friction plate was the least worn out of all of them. Not sure what you mean by the clutch "plug".

Comment

Working...
              X