Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cold weather track day tyre pressures

Hi,

I'm going to be doing my first trackday tomorrow at Knockhill in Scotland. The weather is forecasted to be dry but only 8 degrees C - Desperate to try out my newly installed Satan's R1 shock conversion.

I have Metzeler Interact Z8 and wondered what pressures I should be using with it being forecasted so cool.

Cheers
    Mike

That's 46.4 in freedom degrees.

I'll refrain from giving track pressure advice as my opinion vastly differs from what most folks here recommend when it comes to running street tires. Best advice I've received came from tire vendors at the track.

Have fun. Hope you get some last minute taps aff weather!
    Black Lives Matter

Comment

Originally posted by gotfz1 View Post
      Best advice I've received came from tire vendors at the track.
      This.
      '01 FZ1 set up for distance
      '07 FZ1 set up for fun
      (both in the *faster* blue)

Which would you prefer?

Comment

Set pressure after your first session. Get an IR thermometer and check them as soon as you get off the track. They should be around 165F. If they are much hotter, raise your cold pressure up. If they are colder, lower the pressure.

See this article for more info: https://www.cycleworld.com/2014/02/1...t-temperature/

BTW, beware of the 1st and 2nd laps of sessions 2 and 3, and the first session after lunch. People forget their tires cool off between sessions and have a tendency to overcook it before they come up to temperature again.
        Patient zero.

Partly stabilized, partly curious.

Be your own man; don't be an owned man.

Some people would rather be dead than wrong.

Comment

No psi recomdations from me. Just be sure to take the first several laps nice and easy.
          Add speed judiciously.

I've watched way to many guys chasing the "right" presure. Meanwhile the really fast guys would go 20 seconds a lap faster and weren't fussing with various PSI.

YMMV.

Comment

Well that was a lot of fun, ended up being a cracking night and I didn't crash.
            Temp got up to a balmy 10C. Got talking to the local mechanic/ex club racer and for street tyres he advised dropping the pressure to 32psi front & back, felt good to me. The R1 shock with Satan's adapter was very impressive, if you haven't done it yet i'd really recommend it
            Going to book the next trackday in May.

Comment

Originally posted by rangersfc View Post
              Well that was a lot of fun, ended up being a cracking night and I didn't crash.
              Temp got up to a balmy 10C. Got talking to the local mechanic/ex club racer and for street tyres he advised dropping the pressure to 32psi front & back, felt good to me. The R1 shock with Satan's adapter was very impressive, if you haven't done it yet i'd really recommend it
              Going to book the next trackday in May.
              Where's the video?
              FZ1MinesRdRipper

09' FZ1
              Mods:CRG Levers - Sargent Seats - SS Lines F&R - EBC R Rotor - Vesrah XX Pads - Braking SK2 Frt Rotors - Ohlins Shock - 08 R1 forks - K-Tech 24SSRK C & R Valves - Vortex R/Sets, Apex clipons - Superlite 44t Rear & 15t C/S - 520 ERV3 Gold Chain - Gear Indicator - Graves Full Exh - Ivanized ECU - Hyper Pro Damper - Annitori QS - Graves Stacks - BMC Filter/Airbox Mod - Brembo RCS19 - 1/6 R6 throttle - ZG DB Screen.

Comment

Working...
              X