Front tire change,adapt and overcome

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front tire change,adapt and overcome

My front tire needed to be changed but I did not have any way to lift it. So I came up with this solution.

Put my dog's leash tie out corkscrew thing in the ground. (I can deadlift about 300# and I could not pull it up at all) Then a ratchet strap over the back of the bike and through the tie out with the bike on the center stand. Cinched it down and the front came up. (Concrete was not level so I put a shim under one side of the stand.)

Worked like a champ. Thought I would share.
    Attached Files

Pretty much every vehicle has a jack kit in the trunk or under the hood. Use that next time under your header to lift the front wheel. Loosen all bolts before jacking up.

Comment

^^^^^^

Or have some one sit on the back seat and throw a 4x4 under the header.

For when you need to take the front and rear off at the same time.

Work smarter. Not harder ;)
      Looking for another cheap gen2

Comment

I thought it was a dog gone good idea.

Comment

Only thing is if it fails suddenly . . .

I'd put something under the headers just in case.
          Patient zero.

Partly stabilized, partly curious.

Be your own man; don't be an owned man.

Some people would rather be dead than wrong.

Comment

Not the easiest way to "skin the cat", but still... pretty clever. Made me smile when I saw it. Points awarded 4 the out of the box thinkiing - GJ!

Comment

Originally posted by grommet View Post
              Only thing is if it fails suddenly . . .

I'd put something under the headers just in case.
              I grabbed the straps and pulled with 95% of what I had. It takes about 30# to have it lean back. I was not worried in the least. I thought about jacking it from the headers but the Micron headers are really thin and light compared to stock.

All I had to do was back the bike up to it and ratchet.

Comment

good idea, I'm on here looking at/for lifts for the front. I wasn't ready for that, if it works???? I had someone give me the lifts (front and back) when I just got my bike. I looked at the tires and saw it was still the original tire on the front???? Mixed matched back tire??? I need tires, so I lifted the back with no problems, front complete different story with the lift that just hold the folks up. I tried many times to get the bike to set on the two rubber covered rods that kept moving when started to lift the front. I'm still looking for a better way to do this. Who has ideas with pics (please and thank you). Please add a pic with your bike up, maybe post a video???? Thanks again, happy to be back on a FZ1!!!!!
                harry

Comment

The center stand is all you need. Pull the back off with it and then rock it back with the ratchet strap on the front. I did it again a couple weeks ago when I replaced my front. This time I put a clamp on my patio support beam so the strap would not slip up, took my rear seat off and ran it through the grab handles. The tail of the bike can hold a person so 40-50 lbs from the strap no biggie. (the strap is rated at 1,000 lbs)

I also have used my floor jack on my KLR650 it too has a center stand but it is aftermarket it is wobbly and narrow. I took an 18" piece of 2x6. Used a chisel to make a hole that the jack lift head will fit in, then I glued a piece of memory foam to the top of the board which will go against the bottom of the bike. I still use the stand but the jack is piece of mind if the center stand fails. Not worried about the FZ1 as that stand is rock solid.

This is a pic of this time. the first ones are better.

tire change.jpg

Comment

Scissor jack or floor jack with a piece of wood under the headers works great and is much safer. Gives 4 points of ground contact if you jack it till the rear tire touches ground.
                    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

"I ride not to add days to my life, but to add LIFE to my days."

"Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the people who are doing it."

"Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and JUST BE HAPPY."

Comment

Much safer? A floor jack can roll, a scissor jack if the bike moves while torqueing the front axle it can fall. By using a jack you are taking weight off the center stand which makes the bike more apt to tip also the back tire touching the ground is not a great either as a point of contact. you cannot load the suspension. I personally think my way is better than jack it pulls the bike down making it much harder to tip instead of lifting it up. If you read my last post I have used the jack method too on my other bike but it is not as steady. Each to their own.

Comment

Originally posted by roundhouse View Post
                        Much safer? A floor jack can roll, a scissor jack if the bike moves while torqueing the front axle it can fall. By using a jack you are taking weight off the center stand which makes the bike more apt to tip also the back tire touching the ground is not a great either as a point of contact. you cannot load the suspension. I personally think my way is better than jack it pulls the bike down making it much harder to tip instead of lifting it up. If you read my last post I have used the jack method too on my other bike but it is not as steady. Each to their own.
                        Why on earth would you torque down your front axle with the wheel in the air?

Comment

Originally posted by bmidd View Post

Why on earth would you torque down your front axle with the wheel in the air?
                          Point made, I would not but if I wanted to I could. That is how stabile this is.

Comment

I prefer this method. Harbor freight hoist on a trolley. Put the bike on centerstand and use a strap on the bars between the risers.

IMG_20200817_154916_4.jpg
                            IMAG1268.jpg
                            Chuck P
                            2003 FZ1
                            2007 FJR1300A
                            http://www.oldjeep.com

Comment

I like your method just fine. Reminded me of stump pulling for some reason. And yes, there's several things I'd do different than the guy in the video that wouldn't involve risking bodily/vehicle harm, it's a short video to show the basic concept.

'05 Liquid Silver FZ1: Traxxion Springs/Axxion Valves R6R Shock Multi-Gauge V7.1 '00-'01 R1 Shift Arm Soupys Adjustable Bones Devilsyam Frame Plugs Convertibars Oxford Heaterz with Symtec control GYT-R CF Slip On Fren Tubo SS Brake Lines Brembo Pads Fehling Case Guards Ninja 250 Highway Pegs Pyramid Hugger Sargent Seat FIAMM 72112 Freeway Blaster Horn Vista Cruise Throttle Lock The2wheels Shorty Levers Axio Tail Bag

Comment

Working...
                              X