Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FZ-1 Gen 2 2008 Forks bleeding problem

Hi Guys,

I got myself fully faired version of FZ-1 from 2008 with 17K miles on the clock.
    This is my 2nd FZ-1 - the previous was half faired 2008 with 64K miles on the clock.

I love these bikes.

Anyhow my newly purchased bike has developed this nasty leak from the front suspension on the R/H side. You can see copper mark on the lower tube quite high up underneath the dust seal.

Because I do servicing of my bikes myself I know how to replace the fork seals and fork oil. I found some information that bushings on 2nd Gen FZ1 are together with the upper tubes.

What is confusing me however is the fact that they are not listed on the official parts manual. Does it mean bushings are not replaceable and I need the whole upper tube ?

Also since I think there was some rubbing action going on between the bushing and chrome finish of the lower tube (copper mark) ... do I need to replace the lower tube and if yes ... Is it ok to go with aftermarket (cheaper) or do re-chroming of the original ?

I looked on ebay and at the moment I can see someone trying to sell L/H side FZ1 fork tube for 138 ... can I swap just the outer tube between L/H and R/H and leave the internal cartridge, spring etc ?

Kindest Regards,
    psyhotron

Talking out my butt here to a certain extent, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

I'd expect the plating on that fork tube to be quite thin, enough so if there were any appreciable wear you'd be able to see it. If it looked good I'd run it.

Also, as a fwiw, that bushing is most likely bronze, it wears much better than copper in a bushing application. I'd call a dealer and ask them the same questions you asked here.
    '05 Liquid Silver FZ1: Traxxion Springs/Axxion Valves R6R Shock Multi-Gauge V7.1 '00-'01 R1 Shift Arm Soupys Adjustable Bones Devilsyam Frame Plugs Convertibars Oxford Heaterz with Symtec control GYT-R CF Slip On Fren Tubo SS Brake Lines Brembo Pads Fehling Case Guards Ninja 250 Highway Pegs Pyramid Hugger Sargent Seat FIAMM 72112 Freeway Blaster Horn Vista Cruise Throttle Lock The2wheels Shorty Levers Axio Tail Bag

Comment

Also, my first gen had come to me wrecked and I didn't know it. Apparently the PO had hit something with the front wheel and caused a problem where one lower fork leg got worn over time. I sent them out to Traxxion and they found it was .015" oversize, not fixable only replaceable.
      '05 Liquid Silver FZ1: Traxxion Springs/Axxion Valves R6R Shock Multi-Gauge V7.1 '00-'01 R1 Shift Arm Soupys Adjustable Bones Devilsyam Frame Plugs Convertibars Oxford Heaterz with Symtec control GYT-R CF Slip On Fren Tubo SS Brake Lines Brembo Pads Fehling Case Guards Ninja 250 Highway Pegs Pyramid Hugger Sargent Seat FIAMM 72112 Freeway Blaster Horn Vista Cruise Throttle Lock The2wheels Shorty Levers Axio Tail Bag

Comment

I'm in the us, but I did a front end swap on my gej 2 fz1 and have a complete front end, both fork tubes and the tripple tree. If you want to buy it I'll sell the whole front end for $200

Comment

best bet is just buy a used fork

Comment

Originally posted by jd14771 View Post
            I'm in the us, but I did a front end swap on my gej 2 fz1 and have a complete front end, both fork tubes and the tripple tree. If you want to buy it I'll sell the whole front end for $200
            Hej Man! Are these forks in good condition ? Would you be able to send me some photos ?

Thank you guys for all your help so far. I need to get as much info as possible before attempting disassembly.

Comment

Originally posted by pmendelski View Post
              Hej Man! Are these forks in good condition ? Would you be able to send me some photos ?

Thank you guys for all your help so far. I need to get as much info as possible before attempting disassembly.
              They're in great condition. No wear or anything on them. Gold forks. I'll get some photos tomorrow

Comment

Bushings are replaceable. K-tech makes replacements and some year R1 uses the same bushings. I did mine recently. You just gotta have the right tools. I had to make tools to knock old bushings out and press new in.

Comment

Working...
                X