R1 rear Shock Conversion questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R1 rear Shock Conversion questions

I have been looking for a post detailed to the conversion of the R1 shock upgrade. I have an 08 Retro with most all of the engine performance mods done and I am looking for a budget (do it yourself) suspension upgrade. I don't do track days but have decent roads in Bucks County Pa. for spirited riding, hanging off a bit. Base line info needed stock, stock rear shock is approx 420lb and and R1 around 520lb (ish) ? most people have commented that this is a nice upgrade but other recommend the spring rate be closer to 625lb. so do you upgrade to the R1 shock AND change the spring ?. I have watched some youtube videos about the conversion and I feel I can do the rectifier mod and grind down the width of the shock.I would appreciate any info or links that cover this upgrade in detail. I have some time over the winter to read up on this and get it done before riding season. Thank you !

Attached find a chart showing the differences in R1 and accessory manufacturer's spring rates at different compression lengths. The compression weights were taken at minimum preload. At the bottom of the chart note the stock FZ1/8 spring rates.

The optimum rate needed is based on the rider's weight plus any changes to the motorcycle + or -, i.e.: baggage(+), titanium exhaust(-) which are typically minor compared to the rider's weight. Also, preload must be properly set.

Yamaha recognized in rolling out the GEN II (06) that a 685#/in spring was way too harsh for the average rider (180-200#s) and reduced it ('07+) to 587#. Even that level is butt-pounding for a rider less than 220#. I currently ride at 190# using the '04-'06 spring at 476#/in and find it to be acceptable for street riding with a 3/13 preload notch setting on an '06 R1 shock.

Unless you are significantly zaftig (220+) I suggest you start at the 500# level. Thankfully R1 springs of different strengths are readily available. If you consistently bag or ride a passenger, consider the Hyperpro.

The 2015 R1 shock install into the GEN II is not for the faint of heart. Sorry to say, I am currently out of adapters (likely 2-3 month lead time) for the '04 thru '08 series.R1 Spring 04-15 Comparison.jpg
    The Devil is in the details ...
    Man was created to seek the Truth, Satan makes the search interesting.

Comment

Satan666 thank you for the info. I have seen videos with an adapter at the top of the shock and then read comments that you just have to grind the width of the top mount a few mm to get it to fit. I was getting the impression that if I find a '15 R1 shock and modify the Rectifier mount you were good to go. I will do a bit more research before I try. Thank you
      If anyone has links to threads on this subject I am anxious to do some research

Comment

Happy to help. See: Thread #145351
        The Devil is in the details ...
        Man was created to seek the Truth, Satan makes the search interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by Satan666 View Post

Yamaha recognized in rolling out the GEN II (06) that a 685#/in spring was way too harsh for the average rider (180-200#s) and reduced it ('07+) to 587#. Even that level is butt-pounding for a rider less than 220#. I currently ride at 190# using the '04-'06 spring at 476#/in and find it to be acceptable for street riding with a 3/13 preload notch setting on an '06 R1 shock.
          I'm currently riding with an 04-06 R1 shock and I'm now 175 lbs. I'm going to blame covid for my weight gain.

With all the Facebook FZ1 suspension experts chasing after the 2015 R1 shock, I see some good deals on 07-08 R1 fleabay shocks. Would it be worthwhile (cost-effective) to grab one and have it sent in for servicing/new spring, or should I just not worry and be happy.

Comment

Hello, taking advantage of this post
            Anyone know if the spring of FZ1 2012, goes into the rear shock of R1 2015+?

Comment

Working...
            X