Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So I have the Satan 666 r1 shock mod installed but...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So I have the Satan 666 r1 shock mod installed but...

So I had my first track day. I was having problems getting the back end settled after several laps. The longer I went the worse it got. I was getting little dampening so I maxed it out. Still no better. I took my bike to On road off road cycles suspension guru who put my bike in the chock and checked it out. He immediately told me the rear was not up to the task of tracking the bike. It was a very tired shock and showed me why when he did the ole push down the back and watch it do it's thing...which was nothing.

So my question is would you have the R1 shock rebuilt, re-sprung and tricked out or go aftermarket? I can get the shock rebuilt cheaper than an aftermarket and it will probably perform better than my riding ability would push it. But an aftermarket with all the bells and whistles and bragging about having a Penske or Ohlins is pretty cool and maybe there are advantages?

Originally posted by roundhouse View Post
    So I had my first track day. I was having problems getting the back end settled after several laps. The longer I went the worse it got. I was getting little dampening so I maxed it out. Still no better. I took my bike to On road off road cycles suspension guru who put my bike in the chock and checked it out. He immediately told me the rear was not up to the task of tracking the bike. It was a very tired shock and showed me why when he did the ole push down the back and watch it do it's thing...which was nothing.

So my question is would you have the R1 shock rebuilt, re-sprung and tricked out or go aftermarket? I can get the shock rebuilt cheaper than an aftermarket and it will probably perform better than my riding ability would push it. But an aftermarket with all the bells and whistles and bragging about having a Penske or Ohlins is pretty cool and maybe there are advantages?
    Kind of a no brainer, $300 for a re-valve and new spring is 1/3 the cost of a Penske or Ohlins. Jamie Daugherty at http://daughertymotorsports.com/ has done a few shocks for me. The website is lacking, but he responds quickly to emils and phone calls. Las shock I had done was $315 shipped to me, it was for a re-valve and new spring on a C14.

Comment

If you have the money or can find a deal, which is not uncommon, you will NEVER regret purchasing and installing a Penske. I came about mine when I picked up a very well setup FZ! that had a Penske. I swapped it onto my FZ1, and from my perspective the improvement over the R6 shock I had was very noticeable. Not only was the ride more smooth and controlled while cruising, the enhanced stability paid huge dividends in confidence and fun factor.

I have a Gen I, but going from the horrible OEM shock to a R6 with stock height dog bones, then to the Penske....my money is on the Penske all day long. We also ride 2-up quite a bit, and she noticed it in the first few miles. Smoother operation overall and excellent stability.

Interesting coincidence. After installing the Penske and the Road 5 rear, that was the first rear I've completely burned the sides off while still having a center with a few thousand miles left. Great shock and sticky tires are smile producers.

Just my one experience. FWIW
      -'03 FZ1- "Xena"- Custom Orange/Red paint- FuzzyOne mirror mod- SW Motech QR racks- Givi E460 top- E21 side cases- SS brake lines - Scorpion slip-on- Penske 8987 shock- Throttlemeisters- Sargent seat- R1 shift arm- Custom sprocket cover- Cheap ass battery- Extended passenger pegs - Gauge of Eternal Coolness - Valtermoto Rearsets - LED headlights- Carbon airbox covers- Fehling engine case guards (footrests!)- MRA Vario shield -

Comment

You should be able to have it revalved to work 90% as good as an aftermarket shock.
        Loosenut
        A.K.A. Mike
        YouTube channel - Loosenut FZ

2016 Yamaha FZ-09
        1997 Honda GoldWing
        2008 GasGas 250 TXT Pro

2004 GasGas Pampera 280 (hers)

Comment

And you are talking about a gen.1 upgrade for $200.00 as opposed to a $1,200.00 upgrade. The R6R upgrade for the money spent is a very good situation. Is it a Penske or Ohlins, no of course not. But for 95 percent of the gen.1 riders I have sent R6R shock kits to, they have been very happy. All depends on what you want from the bike, and what you are going to do with said bike.

Dean
          Dean Dinnetz

Comment

Thanks fellas, I think you have made up my mind for me. I will get it re-valved and fixed up. I am sure going from no dampening to a rebuilt shock will make a significant diff.

Comment

I suggest that you first check the pressure in the nitrogen reservoir. The older shocks I have been receiving come in at about 50psi. I refill them to 190-200psi. On the '04-'06 series, the fill hole is underneath the black plastic cap which has to be pried off. Most tire shops have nitrogen fill equipment. You need a needle adapter for the shock.

Having proper pressure in the shock is critical as it prevents bubbles from forming in the oil during high-periodic use. That reduces flow effectiveness and would exhibit the loss of dampening you experienced.

My second suggestion would be the purchase of an '07-'08 R1 shock to swap out for your track days. Consider a heavier spring to go along with the high-speed compression adjustment. Typically less than $75 on fleaBay. Look at the recommendations at the RaceTech calculater: https://racetech.com/ProductSearch/1...ha/YZF-R1/2006 . Needless to say, check the nitrogen pressure on that one.
              The Devil is in the details ...
              Man was created to seek the Truth, Satan makes the search interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by Satan666 View Post
                I suggest that you first check the pressure in the nitrogen reservoir. The older shocks I have been receiving come in at about 50psi. I refill them to 190-200psi. On the '04-'06 series, the fill hole is underneath the black plastic cap which has to be pried off. Most tire shops have nitrogen fill equipment. You need a needle adapter for the shock.

Having proper pressure in the shock is critical as it prevents bubbles from forming in the oil during high-periodic use. That reduces flow effectiveness and would exhibit the loss of dampening you experienced.

My second suggestion would be the purchase of an '07-'08 R1 shock to swap out for your track days. Consider a heavier spring to go along with the high-speed compression adjustment. Typically less than $75 on fleaBay. Look at the recommendations at the RaceTech calculater: https://racetech.com/ProductSearch/1...ha/YZF-R1/2006 . Needless to say, check the nitrogen pressure on that one.
                Thanks Satan, I do have an 08 shock. That is the one that is worn out on my bike. Got a quote of just $200 to revalve, fresh oil and fill with nitrogen. I probably do need a stouter spring but do not want to give up too much ride comfort as I do not have another shock to put on.

Comment

Working...
                X