old rider, new tires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• old rider, new tires

So this is my first post being back on this site. I started here in early 2003 left in 2014 when I sold my 01 and now I just had to have another. I now have a 09 and it needs tires. So let me ask the question, what are you running on your bike? I'm not cutting the roads up anymore. I do enjoy running harder at times but for the most part I ride to work and come home. I get to the dragon every few years but I go slow compared to you guys. What is a good tire and why? Thanks for the reply.
    harry

The Road 5 seems to be popular for what you're describing.

Now just don't go starting an oil thread

Comment

I also am recently back to the site and picked up a low mile 09 myself. Get this, it had the ORIGINAL TIRES still on it! They were hard as a rock and squared off in the middle…

Anyways, my first order of business was to spoon on a fresh pair of made in good ‘ol USA Dunlop Q3+’s. I always prefer more grip over higher mileage. I also decided to go with the 190/55 for a bit quicker steering…
      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
      This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

I've owned 2 sets of Michelin Road 5's, then 2 sets of the Michelin Power 5's.

my two cents is the Power 5's are the best street tires money can buy.
        -Heat up quickly, without getting too hot for daily riding and shredding themselves. They hold the "perfect" temperature for excellent feedback while maintaining good longevity
        -Same mileage as the Road 5's due to the dual compound design they both use

The main difference between the Road and Power 5's is its rain capabilities.
        The Road 5's have very deep sipes for extracting water from the contact patch, this is amazing technology if you intend on riding in the rain. The downside I found is those sipes can cause uneven wear on both the front and the rear, usually from hard braking and acceleration on corner exit. The uneven wear isn't nearly as bad as the cupping that was common on the previous Road 4's, and really isn't a big deal at all. Just its noteworthy that there IS a compromise for the wet performance of the Road 5's. My point isn't to talk the Road 5's down, more to explain that the Power 5's have all the excellent street performance and touring capabilities that the Road 5's are praised for, just more focused on dry weather performance.

Comment

I'm going to try these tires next. I'm currently running a sportier Bridgestone S22 and I can highly recommend them, but I want to give the T32s a shot.
          2001 Yamaha FZ1
          1998 Honda VTR1000 Superhawk

Comment

Originally posted by DannyDevitoo View Post
            I've owned 2 sets of Michelin Road 5's, then 2 sets of the Michelin Power 5's.

my two cents is the Power 5's are the best street tires money can buy.
            -Heat up quickly, without getting too hot for daily riding and shredding themselves. They hold the "perfect" temperature for excellent feedback while maintaining good longevity
            -Same mileage as the Road 5's due to the dual compound design they both use

The main difference between the Road and Power 5's is its rain capabilities.
            The Road 5's have very deep sipes for extracting water from the contact patch, this is amazing technology if you intend on riding in the rain. The downside I found is those sipes can cause uneven wear on both the front and the rear, usually from hard braking and acceleration on corner exit. The uneven wear isn't nearly as bad as the cupping that was common on the previous Road 4's, and really isn't a big deal at all. Just its noteworthy that there IS a compromise for the wet performance of the Road 5's. My point isn't to talk the Road 5's down, more to explain that the Power 5's have all the excellent street performance and touring capabilities that the Road 5's are praised for, just more focused on dry weather performance.
            I love the Power 5 but I’ve never had the same
            mileage as a road 5. The two Road 5 rears I’ve run averaged around 4400 miles each, the three Power 5 rears it’s been around 2800. Both have amazing wet weather performance, I was surprised by the Power 5 with its limited siping with how well it cuts through the water.

Comment

I like Michelins because of their stable and predictable high performance in all weather conditions, as well as their ease of mounting/demounting. I change my own so that is an important factor. While I have a full tire changer, it remains stored away and with the Michelins I easily change tires with a few spoons and plastic rim protectors.

If you want a good one with the least cost, you can still find the really good PR (Pilot Road) 2. I would not hesitate to run one now on the rear, as it works very well, and even better with a sporty front tire like a new Power 5 or even the Power RS.

If you want killer wet performance, I can recommend the Road 5...unbelievable in the rain. "Made with millions of Gecko feet...".

Currently running Power 5 front/rear, and after riding the Dragon (wet and dry) and Cherohala Skyway (2 up) a couple weeks ago, I believe we have another winner. Will be interesting to see how long they last.

Michelins aren't the cheapest, but I also am never concerned about tire performance in any weather. Great peace of mind, especially when 2-up.

Welcome back! Enjoy the ride.
              -'03 FZ1- "Xena"- Custom Orange/Red paint- FuzzyOne mirror mod- SW Motech QR racks- Givi E460 top- E21 side cases- SS brake lines - Scorpion slip-on- Penske 8987 shock- Throttlemeisters- Sargent seat- R1 shift arm- Custom sprocket cover- Cheap ass battery- Extended passenger pegs - Gauge of Eternal Coolness - Valtermoto Rearsets - LED headlights- Carbon airbox covers- Fehling engine case guards (footrests!)- MRA Vario shield -

Comment

I've switched from the Michelin Road Series to the Dunlop roadsmarts because the Michelins got really expensive. I haven't tried the Roadsmart 4's yet but the original, 2 and 3 have been great. I have the Roadsmart 3 now on the FJR. They also have a roadsport that is inbetween the Roadsmart and the Q series sport tires. I put those on the FZ1 last fall and they are great but not sure what kind of life I'll get.

Comment

I'm a fan of the Dunlop Q3+ on the front and the RoadSmart2 on the rear.
                  Loosenut
                  A.K.A. Mike
                  YouTube channel - Loosenut FZ

2016 Yamaha FZ-09
                  1997 Honda GoldWing
                  2008 GasGas 250 TXT Pro

2004 GasGas Pampera 280 (hers)

Comment

On my blue 2003 FZ1, I am running a Pilot Road 4 on the rear, and a Power 5 on the front. This combo for me, works very well.

On my 2002 FZ1, I am running a Continental Sport Attack 2 on the front, and a RoadSmart 2 on the rear. This also seems to work just fine.

Dean
                    Dean Dinnetz

Comment

great info from everyone, I'm going down to cycle gear to see what they have in stock??? I'm old school so the different tires on the front and back was always a bad thing???? I'm now wondering, the tube has a lot of good videos but most of them are sales videos. I hope they have something for me, I have had this bike for 3 days now and want to ride!!!!!!
                      harry

Comment

So I have about 700 miles on my road 5 gt tires and seem to be working well on the dry HOT concrete that I ride on every day. I have yet to see wet roads, but when I do find some I want to see how well they do!!!!
                        harry

Comment

If I lived near the mountains, stickier rubber might be in the cards. For central New England roads Bridgestone T-30,T-31s or T-32 work well and last about 7K. By the time you factor in Bridgestone's spring rebate they are about $175 a set (180/120). Can barely buy a Road front by itself for $175. The Stones work great in the wet. I typically ride faster when it rains cause I'm trying to get home. I have never had the tires slow me down or catch me out. I've tried Roads and they are nice. Probably better than Stones, but not for 60% more.

I've bought more than 40 sets of tires for my Gen 1, so cost has to be a factor for me.

Comment

Originally posted by isleoman View Post
                            If I lived near the mountains, stickier rubber might be in the cards. For central New England roads Bridgestone T-30,T-31s or T-32 work well and last about 7K. By the time you factor in Bridgestone's spring rebate they are about $175 a set (180/120). Can barely buy a Road front by itself for $175. The Stones work great in the wet. I typically ride faster when it rains cause I'm trying to get home. I have never had the tires slow me down or catch me out. I've tried Roads and they are nice. Probably better than Stones, but not for 60% more.

I've bought more than 40 sets of tires for my Gen 1, so cost has to be a factor for me.
                            sound thinking, I don't think I even looked at them, I watched a lot of tube videos. I will keep that in mind when I replace them. I use this for work and like you I'm not close to the hills or curves. I will not say the on ramp is a curve, but I don't have any corners.
                            harry

Comment

Working...
                            X