No announcement yet.

New tire suddenly out of balance...bad.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New tire suddenly out of balance...bad.

So I took my off my front wheel and had a Michelin Power 5 put on a month ago. It had one little 1/4 oz weight on it when I got it back. Bike ran great during that month and 600 miles with no vibrations. I went for a ride thursday and the front end vibrated bad starting at 80 then got scary at 90 (Running with traffic). I saw the weight was gone when I got home. So I took it back to the shop. It took 2 oz to get it balanced. We checked the bearings and they are good. I went for a ride up to 90 and smooth as silk with no vibes.

They showed me on the balance stand that the wheel was true and that was a lot of weight to get it zeroed again.

My question is what could happen to cause it suddenly to just go out of balance like that? Could it be something in the tire that let go? I really do not like riding around with 2 oz on my wheel, 1 it looks bad but 2 what if something is bad wrong internally with the tire?

Personally it wouldn't bother me as long as their machine shows it balances and it runs properly. The number of weights changes almost every time I have my tires changed. For me, It wouldn't be worth the hassle and down time to chase the MFR.

I doubt that a 1 3/4 oz chunk of rubber broke free inside the tire. You would still be feeling it bouncing around if that were the case. I could hear tiny balance beads back when they use to use them. Is it possible there were other weights that came off the wheel? I have marks all over my high mileage rims where there once were weights. One of these days I need to clean them all off.

Comment

Isolation is the answer to your question, take off the tire and balance the rim. That’ll let you know what the source of the vibrations and lack of balance is (tire or wheel).

Comment

Good idea Will. I will take the tire off and balance the wheel. It should be pretty close to dead nut even. Then I know it is the tire. Need to check the balance marks on the tire. I did not do so But like I said it just started after riding it a month so prob not.

Comment

Any luck with rim balance?
          I'm curious too. Did you ever hit a pothole or anything that could have maybe bent the rim in an inconspicuous way?

Might be a dumb suggestion, but I've seen it happen on car wheels occasionally. The weight of the rim shifts slightly, and centeifical force will amplify it.

My 2 cents

Comment

No potholes rim is sound and round. I have done 1 track day with the tire and 300 miles then it suddenly just went out of balance.

Comment

Ended up being a bad tire. Michelin warrantied it. Took it back 3 times to get it balanced. It shook off the weights. Wheel is perfectly balanced, straight and true.

I think I will sell the new Michelin the ship me and go back to tried and true Q3+.

Comment

Interesting - I've ran Michelin's for years and never had an issue but I suppose that happens to all tire brands a time or two....

Glad to hear you got it sorted.
                Why are we here? Because we're here....Roll the bones

Comment

Thanks, my riding buddies both run this tire and love em. I have not decided if I will try it again or go for the Q3 or another brand.

Comment

The front passenger tire on my car had some belts break and threw the tire out of balance. They were not new though.
                    On a side note, I was pleasantly surprised how good Q3+ were in the wet.
                    Loosenut
                    A.K.A. Mike
                    YouTube channel - Loosenut FZ

2016 Yamaha FZ-09
                    1997 Honda GoldWing
                    2008 GasGas 250 TXT Pro

2004 GasGas Pampera 280 (hers)

Comment

Q3+ is pretty good in rain but the Michelin was better I feel. I try not to ride when wet or even damp. Only prob with Q3+ is the profile. It is taller than most other tires it's size (Watched a vid on Dave MOss Tuning about it) They are several mm taller than the Michelin. I reckon it will take a bit more effort on turn in. I could probably laise the back of the bike 8-9mm but do not know if that would help compensate or just mess up geometry.

Comment

Originally posted by roundhouse View Post
                        I could probably laise the back of the bike 8-9mm but do not know if that would help compensate or just mess up geometry.
                        Fwiw on my first gen lowering the triples 5mm and raising the rear with adjustable dog bones until the rear tire barely cleared pavement to use the center stand was huge in getting the bike to turn well.
                        '05 Liquid Silver FZ1: Traxxion Springs/Axxion Valves R6R Shock Multi-Gauge V7.1 '00-'01 R1 Shift Arm Soupys Adjustable Bones Devilsyam Frame Plugs Convertibars Oxford Heaterz with Symtec control GYT-R CF Slip On Fren Tubo SS Brake Lines Brembo Pads Fehling Case Guards Ninja 250 Highway Pegs Pyramid Hugger Sargent Seat FIAMM 72112 Freeway Blaster Horn Vista Cruise Throttle Lock The2wheels Shorty Levers Axio Tail Bag

Comment

Originally posted by Longboardr View Post

Fwiw on my first gen lowering the triples 5mm and raising the rear with adjustable dog bones until the rear tire barely cleared pavement to use the center stand was huge in getting the bike to turn well.
                          With My 2007, I adjusted my Penske shock to the max length and much like yours, the center stand barely had the rear tire off the ground. I turned very well after that.
                          Loosenut
                          A.K.A. Mike
                          YouTube channel - Loosenut FZ

2016 Yamaha FZ-09
                          1997 Honda GoldWing
                          2008 GasGas 250 TXT Pro

2004 GasGas Pampera 280 (hers)

Comment

I went with the Michelin when I got my replacement tire. I watched the guy balance it. Did not need any weights. I took it up to some speed early Sunday morning and no more shaking and vibrations.

They told me to bin the old tire. A buddy with a super moto wants it. I will give it to him but if it fails? Maybe it will be OK on his SM as it weighs less than 1/2 the FZ1 and only goes 75 mph.

Comment

I would bin it, if a vibration turned into a tank slapper I'd hate to be part of that.

Comment

Working...
                              X