• Show
Clear All

• 07 supension settings update

Front preload- 4 lines showing
    Rebound-6 clicks out, counting the first one
    Compression- 8 clicks out, counting the first one
    Rear preload- 3 notches
    Rebound-5 clicks out, counting the first one

The excessive brake dive and rear bouncing has been improved greatly.

Geared up 208 lbs
    Last edited by upinsmoke; 08-16-2007, 04:09 PM.
    "Drop the Clutch"

2014 Triumph STR

Have you changed rear shock/spring or your fork springs/valves yet?
    01 Blue FZ: Bitubo: SBK Rear Shock RaceTech: Fork Springs/Gold Valves CarboTech: CF Front/Rear fenders Yosh C/F Slip On Hole Shot: Jet Kit, Timing Advancer, AIS Eliminator Givi: Rack, E41 Side Cases, E52 Center Case/top rack/backrest Pyramid: DB Windscreen Yamaha: CF Fairing Inserts, 15/44 gearing,Shaved Mud flaps. Hot Bodies: Turn Signal Integrator LP: Flush Mount Front turn indicator lights Bike Master: Superbike Handlebar

Comment

No I have not done that yet just trying to make do as they are. I am not really a twisty guy but I do like it to feel stable. I do only have about 1/8" chicken strips so it seems to be getting around the corners decently for me now.

I did do all of that to my 954 and it really made a difference on a already good setup.

I will admit that the rear shock on this bike sucks.
      "Drop the Clutch"

2014 Triumph STR

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha Wolf
        Have you changed rear shock/spring or your fork springs/valves yet?

Hey upinsmoke, over in my neighboring state of NC, you gotta give us your own weight if that data is going to help anybody here, okay?

Roger

Dielectric grease information, IMPORTANT! http://www.yamahafz1oa.com/forum/sho...3&postcount=42

Ignition coil information, FYI. http://www.yamahafz1oa.com/forum/sho...0&postcount=26

Comment

suspension update

I originally posted this in another thread

"I'm 196 lb and tried my wifes stock 07 FZ1 N, best setting so far to get rid of the bouncy feelingone extra click rear preload 2 extra rear rebound 1 extra front rebound and one less comp. may reduce the front preload later. loosing one off the front comp means you have to be smoother getting on the brakes, but helps it absorb the bumps. I think it posibly makes it run on a little trailing the brakes hard into the corner, more on this the next time it stops raining"

There was only about 250 miles on it then and was thinking about the rapid dive on the brakes so upped the comp back one to std and the original harshness over the bumps had gone and slow speed steering was much inproved as was the front end feel. It seems that the suspension needed as much breaking in as the rest of the bike, more so than anything else i've had

Comment

Originally posted by TheRepairMan
            Hey upinsmoke, over in my neighboring state of NC, you gotta give us your own weight if that data is going to help anybody here, okay?

Roger
            Fixed it
            "Drop the Clutch"

2014 Triumph STR

Comment

What are stock settings, I just got my '07 Raven.

Comment

Originally posted by PanicHead
                What are stock settings, I just got my '07 Raven.
                I'm not sure if the suspension changed so unless someone can update this further this was set to us from Lee, and his settings transformed my 06 into a much more controlled and confident ride. It's a blast now except for all the cops watching 421 so closely right now.

Here are the settings for the 06...
                Originally posted by sportrider
                Originally Posted by sportryder

"Roger, don't feel like it's a bother to contact me.

Try setting the preload on the forks at 3 bands showing. Not the actual machined grooves, but the space between the grooves. Set the compression adjuster at 8 clicks out. Zero would be clockwise turned in til seated. Set the rebound at 11 clicks out. I think the forks come from the factory with preload at 5 bands showing, rebound at 15 clicks and compression at 5 clicks.

Try the rear shock at 2 or 3 for the preload and the rebound adjuster at 6 or 5 clicks out respectively.

Everyone has different preferences on settings so your results may vary. Dont be afraid to experiment.

What makes the bike feel harsh over bumps is using too much compression damping (small number on the clicks out). Many try to eliminate front fork dive by turning the compression adjuster in and the result is a suspension component that will not react to bumps.

The stock springs are pretty darn close for your weight..

Dielectric grease information, IMPORTANT! http://www.yamahafz1oa.com/forum/sho...3&postcount=42

Ignition coil information, FYI. http://www.yamahafz1oa.com/forum/sho...0&postcount=26

Comment

07 settings

I was going to start a new thread but figured I would pass along some settings I found from the 'sport rider' naked bike shoot-out for the 07 FZ1. Here is a link where they say what is the best suspension set up. I know weight may vary but this gives you somewhere to start.

http://www.sportrider.com/features/1..._settings.html
                  07 FZ1

Comment

This is how I set mine

http://www.sportrider.com/tech/146_0402_susp/index.html
                    "Drop the Clutch"

2014 Triumph STR

Comment

Are these settings applicable for a stock '06 model as well?
                      thanks for posting this. Good info.

Comment

I would use the numbers TheRepairMan posted up because the spring rates are different from 06-07. 06's are stiffer.
                        "Drop the Clutch"

2014 Triumph STR

Comment

Originally posted by upinsmoke

This is a great link also. Thanks for sharing
                          07 FZ1

Comment

I know this is an old thread but I just picked up a 08 FZ1 about a month ago and would like to thank upinsmoke for these settings. Thanks upinsmoke!!!

Comment

thanks to up in smoke and the repairman, i did a little more preload, damping for rebound the same with a click less compression, works great, smooth ride no bouncing i am 5-10 210 lbs 2008 fz1 7k miles....

Comment

Working...
                              X