Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whee whee whee engine noise?

Hello.
    I am getting to know my new to me 2013 FZ1and I have noticed an annoying rhythmic whining noise coming from the lower right side of the engine. It goes up whit rpms... the mechanic at the Yamaha dealer I toke the bike to, do not think that is anything bad...but I am not sure about that.
    Another mechanic thinks it could be the cam chain tensioner.....
    Anybody else got this annoying "whee wheee" noise on their FZ, and come out with a solution???
    Thanks.
    Have fun and be safe.

Based on it's location I'd agree with the second mechanic thinking it has to do with the cam chain, but if its a whining/whirling sound I don't agree with it being a tensioner.

how loud is it?

Comment

My 2007 had an annoying noise like that when I got it, kind of a high pitched whirring noise. 300 miles later the rotor exploded. Mine wasn't so much on the left or right side, just an overall noise, if that makes sense. RPM dependent, it rose and fell with the throttle, then all of the sudden it stopped...

Comment

Hi Danny, the noise is not very loud but noticeable... and yes bmidd, I already got the new rotor I will soon install it, and I hope that will take care of it.... thank you guys!

Comment

Didn't the 2013 already have the upgraded rotor? If not, then what year did?
          "‎Don't count the days; make the days count." Muhammad Ali

Comment

Originally posted by Fitty View Post
            Didn't the 2013 already have the upgraded rotor? If not, then what year did?
            2015 was the improved design.
            Rotor assembly OLD p/n 5VY-81450-00-00 and NEW p/n 2SH-81450-00-00

Comment

"‎Don't count the days; make the days count." Muhammad Ali

Comment

Hello guys.
                Just an update... I had the dealer install the new rotor, but unfortunately that did not solve the whining noise. Still searching for clues to what could cause it. I am thinking clutch maybe....

Comment

Hello everyone.
                  I have been riding my FZ and I really like it....but that noise still bugs me. I wonder if maybe you can listen to it and let me know what do you think. The Yammy dealer and my friends think I should not worry about it. But I would like an opinion from others that actually own the same bike.
                  Here is a link of me starting the bike cold... https://photos.app.goo.gl/god9zmtqBrXc2mjr5

Comment

It sounds just like Stella Blue. Ride more worry less.

Comment

Owned 2 GEN II's, 2007 & 2014. Both sounded the same as yours. Ditto the above.
                      The Devil is in the details ...
                      Man was created to seek the Truth, Satan makes the search interesting.

Comment

The bike makes whee whee noises

I make whoop whoop noises

The police make whooooooo whooooooo noises

My lawyer makes cha ching! Noises

(but as others have pointed out, that’s pretty quintessential FZ1 engine noise)

Comment

well...thank you very much my cyber friends...I feel better now!

Comment

I've owned two 2008's and can confirm, they all sound this way. Now go out and enjoy that fine machine!

2008 Yamaha FZ1

Comment

Thanks. Will do!

Comment

Working...
                              X